No more beer bikes!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right folks. I talked to a local adult beverage store on Friday and they told me that due to legal reasons beer companies are no longer allowed to send bikes and such to retailers. I confirmed this with a fellow co-worker whose wife works at a distributor here in town. So if you have any beer bikes you just might have something pretty collectable now. More so than before.

Yeah the government thinks anything that encourages drinking or smoking is bad, I got a whole pile of Camel Cash that is worthless now. Can't even get a free hat. I quit smoking after that. I figure the leftover camel cash will be worth something in 10 years on e-bay.

Saw this last weekend in front of NikeTown on Michigan Ave. It's awesome, my wife loved it.

IMAG0163.jpg

Probably a state by state type of deal, you already couldn't participate in the on-line New Belgium bike lottery from Kalifornia

well I know that they are not allowed to give away alcohol for free in Cali. Thats why they charge you .25 cents to taste wine at Bevmo. Maybe that has something to do with the free bike.

Doing some googling, I'm really not finding out much. I do find, for example, that a recent Budweiser advertising campaign that included giving out samples would be illegal in Illinois, due to state law (which Budweiser was aware of, and would modify the campaign state-by-state as needed, apparently). But presumably, any such rule dealing with advertising give-aways would be based on state rules as well. You might just ask the source to be more specific as to the rule or law to which he referred. I'm sure not pulling up any sweeping federal rules on the topic.

skillsthebarber said:
is that for Lance Armstrong?
It's a promotional bike for Goose Island 312 beer. Goose Island is based in Chicago. Now if they could ban Lance Armstrong you might have a lot of support! The bike should have come with a set back seat post. Flip the bars and you'd have a nice ride.

I'm gonna take a wild quess and say that it's probably because the "powers that be" have deemed bicycles are a toy product and not transportation or sport. Most anything that might be child related gets the axe when it comes to beer/alcohol or cigarette related. The "powers" seem to think that this causes children to take up drinking or smoking. This is why nascar memorabilia with beer sponsors is not available in the toy dept. of stores. You can only find them at a collectors type store.
Remember the big Spudz controversy?

Chainsaw said:
I'm gonna take a wild quess and say that it's probably because the "powers that be" have deemed bicycles are a toy product and not transportation or sport....

A local cop used to tell me coaster brake bikes (he called them backpedal bikes) were "kids" bikes ... and they belong on the sidewalk. I guess the roads are for 10 speeds where the adults ride :roll: . Im pretty sure that cop never went into politics, but maybe some good ol' boys just like him are writing the rules :|

CCR said:
Chainsaw said:
I'm gonna take a wild quess and say that it's probably because the "powers that be" have deemed bicycles are a toy product and not transportation or sport....

A local cop used to tell me coaster brake bikes (he called them backpedal bikes) were "kids" bikes ... and they belong on the sidewalk. I guess the roads are for 10 speeds where the adults ride :roll: . Im pretty sure that cop never went into politics, but maybe some good ol' boys just like him are writing the rules :|
I'm a rebel...I ride my coaster brake "kids" bike on the main roads flying down hills at 30 mph. Be funny If I got pulled over. I also blast through 4 way stops and most lights. I should buy a helmet. :?

So, um, what will this mean for me?

rollrock_0323.jpg

You can have my Rolling Rock when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

Rode it last night down on the pier with lights added... though I wasn't drinking Rolling Rock, to be honest. (Woodchuck Cider.)

Thanks Walker!

--Rob

cruisehard said:
CCR said:
Chainsaw said:

I'm a rebel...I ride my coaster brake "kids" bike on the main roads flying down hills at 30 mph. Be funny If I got pulled over. I also blast through 4 way stops and most lights. I should buy a helmet. :?

I ride my coaster "back peddlerrr" all over the street out here in Oakland, cops here could care less. I use to work at Trottwood Applebees as a bartender back in 2002. Just thought I would say hi seeing as how your living in Dayton and all.

I still think it's fun to ride my one speed "back-peddler" and just wizz by the 10 speed crowd. Especially with a load on the trailer......Thinking of upgrading to a 3 speed coaster though for heavier loads.

Back