No Idea

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the Permatex prevent, preserve, or perpetuate rust? Asking for a RaT... :grin:

Does the Permatex prevent, preserve, or perpetuate rust? Asking for a RaT... :grin:
supposed to prevent future rust, but it's not shiny like a clear coat. it's an uneven finish depending on the surface condition, so the part still looks old so I prefer it to paint. I'll try to get a good picture of something tonight. I've never tried it to preserve rust but now that you mentioned that, I'm going to

I got the chain guard and the crank unpainted, and the crank sprayed with rust prevention
IMG_4083.jpeg
IMG_4084.jpeg
here’s a closeup of the surface finish from the permatex
IMG_4093.jpeg
the seat guts came out of the wood bleach bucket, and the seat pan went in
IMG_4086.jpeg
IMG_4087.jpeg
then I started unpainting the frame until all my drill batteries were dead, so upstairs for dinner and cartoons.
IMG_4092.jpeg

Does the permatex discolor what you put it on. I bought some other stuff but didn't read it turns black.
Yes it definitely darkens the metal, how much depends on the surface. I tried to take a couple pictures to show this but my phone kinda sucks

I’ve got some stuff called Rust Doctor that looks a bit like that when dry but it needs to be top coated if it’s going to be in the sun. Those cranks look good and the build over all is looking great!

Last edited:
I’ve got some stuff called Rust Doctor that looks a bit like that when dry but it needs to be too coated if it’s going to be in the sun. Those cranks look good and the build over all is looking great!
thank you!

I took a couple days off work to turn the 4th of July into a long weekend and got absolutely nothing done on the bike, and now it’s hot humid and nasty out! July is gonna go fast so I better get to work. I got the seat pan and hardware cleaned and the seat reassembled, cleaned and greased the pedal bearings but didn’t take pictures of any of that. Last night I sat on the living room floor in front of the air conditioner and put the back wheel together
IMG_4139.jpeg
I will attempt to get it true this weekend, then straighten the steer tube best I can and start painting, clock is ticking…

I took a couple days off work to turn the 4th of July into a long weekend and got absolutely nothing done on the bike, and now it’s hot humid and nasty out! July is gonna go fast so I better get to work. I got the seat pan and hardware cleaned and the seat reassembled, cleaned and greased the pedal bearings but didn’t take pictures of any of that. Last night I sat on the living room floor in front of the air conditioner and put the back wheel together View attachment 239957I will attempt to get it true this weekend, then straighten the steer tube best I can and start painting, clock is ticking…
Looks great! Building wheels is going to be the next hurdle I learn to take on.

If it's any consolation, we had that incredible heat and humidity through Wed, better on Thurs, and today it is cool and dry air! High of 72°.

Our weather usually hits you 2 days later, may be hope yet!

Rear wheel is trued, tires mounted, front hub bearings cleaned, greased and adjusted. All the bike parts aside from a couple accessories are ready for installation. I got some primer on the frame and fork, I’m gonna let it dry a few days in this humidity.
IMG_4146.jpeg

Rear wheel is trued, tires mounted, front hub bearings cleaned, greased and adjusted. All the bike parts aside from a couple accessories are ready for installation. I got some primer on the frame and fork, I’m gonna let it dry a few days in this humidity. View attachment 240532
Love the 2 speed kickback

I took a couple days off work to turn the 4th of July into a long weekend and got absolutely nothing done on the bike, and now it’s hot humid and nasty out! July is gonna go fast so I better get to work. I got the seat pan and hardware cleaned and the seat reassembled, cleaned and greased the pedal bearings but didn’t take pictures of any of that. Last night I sat on the living room floor in front of the air conditioner and put the back wheel together View attachment 239957I will attempt to get it true this weekend, then straighten the steer tube best I can and start painting, clock is ticking…
That box is super clever

thanks! I usually assemble wheels on an old beach towel on my kitchen table, this is the first one I've done with an assembled hub. took a few minutes and a beer or two to think it up...
You stopped at just right amount of beer that would be so much easier than try to hold the hub and lace.

This is our paint selection for the bike
IMG_4148.jpeg
a couple years back I built a Columbia for my girlfriend to mimic her Suzuki and I really liked the look,so I’m gonna do something similar to this bike. It’s a bit lighter of a gray color and I’m using chrome wheels instead of black but this is the general idea
IMG_3178.jpeg
IMG_4153.jpeg
i got the paint installed last night, the frame is hanging in front of the furnace with the dehumidifier running, I’ll let it dry for about a week before I clamp it in the bike stand
IMG_4152.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back