No idea......help please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A local friend is wondering what this may be. He stated the seat and chainguard are not believed to be original.

Anyone know what this is?....
FB_IMG_1497040964915.jpg
FB_IMG_1497040975265.jpg
Thank you in advance

Couldn't find a match, but I suspect that started life as an early BMX frame that sported a typical unicrown fork.

Has a loop-tail similar to rear drop-outs of many BXM bikes.
Hard lines of the cantilevered seat stays - seem more like 1970's muscle bike. Also, not quite a quadrangle frame.
Were big chain rings or banana seats ever cool in BMX?

Banana seats no, but big chainring were huge back in the day. My brother was pro sponsored when I was young (and I believe where my bike addiction first started) and I remember barely being able to peddle on his hand-me-downs. Quite a workout but I had the coolest bike in school! \m/

Thanks for looking tho guys. I hoped the odd frame geometry might make it obvious......

Big fronts were normal in the early days of BMX; the classic ratio was 44f/16r which is about about a 55" gear. These days, they run smaller sprockets but that's for clearance, rather than for lower ratios. The front sprockets are way smaller now, but so are the modern rears. A 25f/9r is a common set-up today, but that's still a 55.6" gear.

Wish i could help with the mystery bike. It looks familiar, but i just can't place it... and i may be old and crappy enough to just not know it, but i'm foolin' myself into thinking i simply forgot it.

i have tried all my search methods to find a match nothing comes to mind it's a close resemblance to quadrangle but no close enough to make a positive match it resembles the mx era bikes but again no matches im stumped on this one

This is the closest I could come up with, and it isn't a match. Even the BMX-perts seem stumped by this configuration, and that's saying something.

P1011029.jpg

That red one is the "Mystery" 26"...

I'd post the bike from the OP on the bmxmuseum forums. Within half an hour, someone will ID the frame, and 20 minutes after that, like 5 other guys will tell you what sucks about the frame and how you're a poser. :crazy: But, at least you'll know what you're dealing with...:rockout:

Last edited:
Thank you Rob. I am just trying to help the dude. And all forums are going to have purists who know better than everyone else or why your bike sucks. Lol always some negative in human nature unfortunately.

I will say tho I see little here at RRB. I like that.

Just from visual clues...I would assume that the fork belongs with the frame and this is a late 70s to earliest 80s mx style bike. I looks like it was built in response to the early suspension bmx bikes...to sell the style, not any kind of function. probably post-'77-ish. There are definitely Western Flyers that share this frame style, but the looptail isn't Western Flyer-ish.

Jason

Okay. The funny part is I found it almost instantly...the other funny part is that I can't provide definitive photo evidence even though I feel 99% certain I'm correct :confused:.

It is a Graco MX 125...and this is the only picture I can find on the internet:
graco-mx-125_blowup.jpg

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/graco/79277

If you look at the bars, fork (the fake lower legs and the fork ends, especially), sproket, the rear looptail and dropouts and location of the seat bar attachment holes...it all matches. You can imagine the double tubes under the tank...but, can't see them :grin:. Look at the other Gracos listed in the bmxmuseum, and you'll see the similarities. It looks like the MX125 was the lowest price level, so non-functional front forks and no rear suspension.

Interesting find!
Jason

Jason youare amazing. Crazy thing is most pics don't have the bar showing as the tank is in the way........but you hit it! Lol

Yeah forks, chainring, bars etc.....dead ringer

Okay. The funny part is I found it almost instantly...the other funny part is that I can't provide definitive photo evidence even though I feel 99% certain I'm correct :confused:.

It is a Graco MX 125...and this is the only picture I can find on the internet:
graco-mx-125_blowup.jpg

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/graco/79277

If you look at the bars, fork (the fake lower legs and the fork ends, especially), sproket, the rear looptail and dropouts and location of the seat bar attachment holes...it all matches. You can imagine the double tubes under the tank...but, can't see them :grin:. Look at the other Gracos listed in the bmxmuseum, and you'll see the similarities. It looks like the MX125 was the lowest price level, so non-functional front forks and no rear suspension.

Interesting find!
Jason

giphy.gif

Back