No chop chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gonna rearrange this Ross a little, more or less the same way as back in "the olden days" :p . Planned so far, clean the poopy out of, and lube the wheels. Change the front "goes well with a slick" tire for a plain Jane line tread. Lose the Jr. size crank in favor of "normal" size, with a bigger front ring. Replace the fork with one from a 27" bike so the new crank can go around without hitting the ground :mrgreen: . Replace the Weimann brake system with a single Bulldog bmx unit. Extend the seat supports an as yet undetermined amount to allow for my legs. PAINT BLACK. 8) Still up in the air about the shifting arrangement.

bike3%20027.jpg

cant belive ur gonna paint that ...i think u could get some decent money for that bike if its original and in good shape...but its urs after all ....keepin the front tire ??? mike

Fairly uncommon in salvageable condition. Hey, the perfect candidate for a rat-rod vehicle! :!: I'm probably leaving it unscuffed and unprimed, at least at first, but I'm not concerned with it's fiduciary value. If I was a gazillionaire I'd be having my welder finish up my '32 Chevy chop about now. :mrgreen:

Not visible in the pic, along withe the missing shifter parts and grips, seat damage, and rust, the bottom bracket has been re-welded. Looks like a really good job, but it wasn't repainted and there's surface rust, looks like I'll be doing some prep work after all.

I've got a chainguard, if you need it. I hope your extended fork looks better than mine did. I went back to the stocker after trying a fork off a comfort bike. I'm running a 165mm crank on mine, and it clears the ground pretty well. That said, I'd need to add at least six inches to the sissy bar for mine to be really rideable with my 35" inseam.

The trick to using this type of mod, without becoming a unicyclist :? , is compensating for the angle change and the rearward displacement of the seat from raising it, by moving the the front mount back, which brings the seat forward, which of course :roll: means it needs to go up a little more. :lol: These bars with the turn-down grips are pretty good about pushing them forward, and you can also use a later Schwinn 10-spd stem to add that tiny bit of room, if need be. :wink:

Got the seat support extension mocked up, and the design of the seat means I probably won't need to shift it forward. The crank clearance is not as bad as I would have expected, but my foot still hits the ground, so the long fork is next on the list. Also a reprieve for the muscle "purists", while I decide whether or not the puked mustard paint is growing on me. :p

bike3%20039.jpg

I like this bike, and I dig the paint. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it, but ultimately it's yours, so....

Mike.

gowjobs said:
...fog on the head-tube and blend the two colors?

Cool concept, but I'm thinking I'll probably try to match the yellow, or paint the whole thing. The burnt bottom bracket's bugging me, whatever it gets the fork will get as well. :wink:

When I took the sprocket off, I found a bumpy spot, and when I threw paint at it my aging eyes noticed a void on the other side. For some reason, my camera doesn't want to see them. :roll:

bike3%20046.jpg

bike3%20047.jpg

bike3%20051.jpg

bike3%20052.jpg

Back