Nice old Monark

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTV

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Picked this up today, cheap by Phoenix standards. Ridiculously complete, down to the acorns on the hubs. Just missing the tail light guts (aren't they all), and has the wrong seat. My girl loves old bikes and the colour green so it's perfect for her. Rubbed it down real quick with some SOS pads and it's really cleaning up well!
aeeb8959-1014-2ce8.jpg

aeeb8959-102f-4619.jpg

Thanks guys! The missus was actually a little unsure about it at first, then I started cleaning it up and she was amazed!
Just going to get it rolling again for now. She wants brown Fat Franks to match the brown pinstripes, so that's what it will get. Eventually I'll blow it apart, clean, polish, and re grease it all, but I'm leaving it as original as I can. It's very elegant in it's original state, IMO.

Anyone know what year it is, approximately? I'm thinking late 40's but I'm not sure.

You're right about the pinstripe, gold it is. I have my reservations about the brown tires... That restored one is beautiful. Great detail.

If anyone is reading this, I need a proper vintage ladies seat, if it needs recovering that's ok.

I have the correct seat. It is in good shape with the exception that some of the seat cover needs to be glued back to the pan. I can post a photo if you are interested.

subadrew said:
train light dates it between 1950-1955. Nice find =)

Ok, and the double springer was used until '51? So that makes it a '50-'51?

Crassly, you have pm :)

Pulled off the train light cover. Remnants of the lense were still inside. No batteries, so not rot. Switch is stuck, any ideas on how to loosen it up? The bulb is also stuck, know where I can find a new one?
aeeb813e-3662-0f8c.jpg

Dissmantle the switch to clean it up inside i did that to both of mine to to get them working, be carefull with it though, as for the bulb just pull one out of a doller store light that takes those same batterys lol thats what i did

Very kool old bike.I think that I myself am becoming a Monark fan...3 & counting.No taillight guts to be had,my friend.That's the standard "cheese grater" Monark rack...no light.Are your tank emblems in good shape? Hope your lady loves it as much as mine loves her 24" Rocket!...P 8)

Yep, I just learned about the tail light yesterday. Guess that was a Firestone thing. So that means once the seat gets here I'll be 100% complete :) The crowns are nice other than the faded red background paint. I hit the train light with a little compound last night and it shined up pretty good. I think I will completely dismantle this one to clean, polish and regrease as soon as my Typhoon is finished.

This is our 2nd Monark. They are cool bikes. The other is a Firestone (I think), but it's so haggard that it will be getting the custom treatment. But not until this one is done!

The correct saddle came in yesterday from Crassly and I fit it up. Looking much better.
aeebc5cc-54f9-e748.jpg

The missus went out of town on work this morning and left me no honey-do's :) I couldn't resist the urge to pull it apart and start cleaning and polishing. The green is really starting to come out!
aeebc5cc-55a2-468f.jpg

The rest of the bike is taking a WD-40 bath.
I bought some D cell batteries for the headlight and horn. I stuck them in there and gave it a shot, no dice. Not surprising. How can I get them to work? I'm mechanically inclined, but electrically challenged, so explain it to me like I'm a 4 year old :)
Hoping to have this back together and riding next weekend!

Back