NEXUS 7 SPEED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Just curious what yall thought about running a Nexus 7 speed with a drum brake on a vintage bike. I think Yeshoney is the king of this set up.

Trying to decide if I want to run a hand brake or not. :roll:

I also have a question about that hub...do you know if it'S possible to run a disc brake with it?

Rat Rod said:
Another question is will it fit between the rear drop outs?

That's the Biggest Question Right There!!!!

The Nexus Seven with a Coaster Brake is AWESOME!
Drum Brake :?: :?: does this require a Hand Brake,
I'm not Familiar with a Drum Brake 7 :?

But the tough part will be Cold Stretching the Nexus 4,7,8 into a Frame.
Even a Nexus Three can be a squeeze some times.

The Nexus 7 IS a Great Set up though....very well built.

Kev.

Rat Rod said:
It seems like Yeshoney has managed to squeeze a Nexus 4 and a 7 with a roller brake between some vintage drop outs before.

The roller brake works off of a hand brake....but the cool part is no brake calipers to mess with.

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycle/p ... 5472464797

That's Right..
now that you say "Roller Brake"
I know what your talking about..

and don't forget Steve.....YESHONEY didn't Complete his RRBBO Bike,
because he couldn't find The Finishing Touches he needed
( the JC Higgins Long Tube Ladies Bee Hive Springer )

and he SNAPPED the Rear Drum up and was waiting
for a Month and a Half...to get the Nexus Part.

This all happened when he was Hasty and Cold Stretching it into his
Drop outs....so a Cold Stretch is a bit of Work.

OUTSIDER is also a "Cold Stretch" master :wink:

Sheldon says it's 130mm w/roller brake 126mm w/o.

I always felt like my nexus hub was a bit of a boat anchor, heavy and inefficient. I didn't like the brake either. Flats were a pain too.

Rat Rod said:
Another question is will it fit between the rear drop outs?

the fit would not scare me, all of thoses frames are steel and can be treched faily easily...I did it morethan once!

I have the 7spd coaster brake and love it. It is on an Electra.

Bending the frame should be no big deal. Grab a friend and 2- 4 foot 2x4's. Place into rear triangle evenly about halfway to down tube. Each of you then pull outward. Spread a little at a time always checking your measurement.
I did this when I installed the Xtracycle on my Kona.

The only problem is if the alignment washers fit in the dropout, but I guess that is what they made grinders for.

I noticed that Sheldon mentions something about needing horizontal drop outs to be able to use the chain tensioner.

The standard dropouts on most of your bikes should work. There is an alignment washer on the left side usually that needs to be changed.

I think there are 3 kinds of washers- Slanted/standard, horizontal, and vertical.

nexus8-washers.gif

I'm here...

I swear by the Nexus shifter/hub etc. Really not difficult at all to mount by spreading the dropouts. You end up pulling each side of a classic bike frame out about 1/2" or total of 1". The key here is NOT pulling at the end of the dropout. you need to make the bend further towards the BB. I know this sounds hard but it is really easy. Lay the frame on the floor, place one foot towards the inside of the rear triangle near the BB and gently pull out. Flip the bike over and do the same on the other side.

All of my bikes are multi speed.

1 - 8 speed internal
3 - 7 Speed internal
2 - 4 speed internal
1 - 3 speed internal

3 - 5 speed derailuer
3 - 3 speed S/A

Still have two sets of Wheels with 7 speed Nexus hubs to be installed on upcoming projects. Just dropped off a Front hub and Roller brake to be laced into the Schwinn 24" S-2 36 hole cream painted with black pinstripe rim. Can't wait!

Now with all that said one must consider sprocket ratios. I have two of my bikes with Schwinn mag sprockets at 52 teeth. You must use a 23 or 24 rear ttoth sprocket or the gearing will be useless. I have one 48 tooth front sprocket with a 20 in back and that one i can only use the lowest three gears making the rest useless. I should get a 22 for the 48. I have a couple with 40 and one with 42. They work well with a 20 or 21.

Hope this all helps! I hate all the mess that a derailuer and rim brakes make on the older bikes. Thats my internal hubs and roller brakes kick ...!!!!

except my Hawthorne Chrome Bike. Need to keep that one original.... For now!

Thanks Joe!!!!

I'm picking this bike up tomorrow and plan to install the 7 speed on either my Flying Star or my Typhoon.

01010901040801030120070726b871b610c9cf7ba7f2005547.jpg

01020701030701040520070726ebd50547a73447a79d003e27.jpg

010204010412010310200707264d74569edec4489cee0075df.jpg

Yes you can...
with the Nexus Three the Gear Mechanism is Mounted on the Outside,
on a Slined Axle Shaft....and you just Undoo The Little Allen nut
and you can Rotate the Mechanism in what ever Direction you want,
so that the Shifter Cable is Directed up The Rear Drop-out,
( NEVER OVER TIGHTEN THAT ALLEN NUT!!!!!! ) :!:
Soft Hand Tight only!!!!!

With The Nexus 4,7,8 The Cable actually Comes out in between the Drop-
out...and The Hub.It Comes out of a Plate which Governs the Cable Direction.A Stock 4,7,8 will have the Plate set, so that The Cable
comes out Level.So if you wish to Mount a Suicide
Shifter near the Bottom Bracket.....the cable will be Guided
that way!

If you wish to have the Cable directed UP towards the Seat,
Then for about $4.00 you have a Choice of 5 or 6 Different
Plates that have different Cable Directions.

These Plates where Designed so that Cables could be Changed if
a Bike has a Different Frame Stlye ( from The Factory ).
Then Nexus would be Compatible with all Bikes...and their Frame Styles.

and...they Work for us Ratters as well :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back