Nexus 3speed hub maintnence

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they are rather maintence free, but how often would you recommend adding oil (actually, I hear it takes some fancy Shimano Nexus specific lube) through the tiny oil port near the coaster brake arm? Sounds kinda dry and i've gotten used to it being one of the world's noisist hubs. Thanks in advance!

If you think it needs lube, then it needs it. :) I had a nexus 3 speed that would not shift properly and would stick between gears. I added some of the shimano grease and wouldn't you know, the thing came back to life. It is still shifting properly.

The grease port is located on the opposite side of the chain cog. It is covered by the cover at the end. The cover will slide back and forth exposing a grease port.

I have never used anything other than the shimano grease on it because I don't want to risk ruining anything in the hub. I checked for other lube options, but too many people recommended using what is specified.

I will have a link to the tube I use later.

Thanks. Will it quiet the hub down at all? And I think I will use only the specific lube for the Nexus hub. An older S.A. hub I can get away with regular oil, snthetic oil and even ATF. I will get some lube and check it out.

How much grease is needed to reach the area(s) that need the grease? Just a small dab of it or pump it in until it overflows?

You just squeeze the grease in till it comes out of the sides of the cap. You will notice when it is enough.

buckwild said:
How much grease is needed to reach the area(s) that need the grease? Just a small dab of it or pump it in until it overflows?

Back