Next Project: First Mockup

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this project on my mind since last spring. It started when I got an old Columbia ladies bike from a buddy. It was basically half destroyed because his dad backed his semi over it, but the front half was good. I cut off what was bent and started looking at what was good...it looked good flipped and the tank looked kind of cool upside down too!
20130218_205259_zps12c9f861.jpg

Then I had a Huffy mtb that I salvaged for wheels just sitting there, so, I toyed with that...I was starting to think burrito. I cut the top tube off of the seat tube, then cut the bottom tube from the head tube. Then I cut the seat tube free from the bb. I heated the chain stays and bent them down, and the seat tube being free allowed me to flatten out the rear triangle.
20130218_205746_zps3f84df6e.jpg

I also had an old Packard that wasn't worth more whole than the sum of it's parts.
20130218_210021_zps82aee31a.jpg

But, I really like the shape of the frame and wanted to use as much as possible to sort of pay tribute to the old girl...
Here is a mockup of where this is heading. The nice new goodies are (obviously) the 32" triple tree, and the Brooks look-a-like hairpin saddle.
20130226_210428_zpsb57355ae.jpg

This is a really rough mock up at this point. I plan on having that lower of the two top tubes meet the seat stays. I will make a curved top tube, and another curved tube to join the head tube to the bottom tube. Then move the bb as well. As it sits now, it's 7'8" long overall, with less than 3" of ground clearance.
This is going to be fun!!

cool. Ok how about a right side drive to the blue bikes crank. that way u could use the skip tooth crank chain and rear sprocket but still have the 5 speed rear end and no(big) chain routing problems. Just my thoughts. Cheers Froggy

If you keep the bb in the current location it looks like the front tire would hit you foot when you turn and the crank arm is forward.
Looking forward to seeing the finished bike! :cool:
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

froggy99 said:
cool. Ok how about a right side drive to the blue bikes crank. that way u could use the skip tooth crank chain and rear sprocket but still have the 5 speed rear end and no(big) chain routing problems. Just my thoughts. Cheers Froggy
Thanks! I had thought of that, but the skip tooth chain I have is not nearly long enough. I do like the idea of the right drive though and 2 chains. It depends on how my bb lines up with the rear...sometimes, I think the long lines of the chain add to the overall look of the bike.

BlackJack said:
If you keep the bb in the current location it looks like the front tire would hit you foot when you turn and the crank arm is forward.
Looking forward to seeing the finished bike! :cool:
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks!
I literally cut this section off the Packard and mocked it up to see what it looks like. I'm going to cut that bb off and fill in that section with tubing. I'm still not sure what setup I'm going to go with as far as a crank, but it will be higher and further back from it's current location.

Ha ha looks awesome man!

The funny part is it seems were thinking alike, I got a lady mtb frame like that and a twenty inch lady cruiser frame alike that.
I was thinkin to flip it and use the lady bend tubes for the top tube and have the double ones for the brace to the HT to BB nearly opposite position of what you have, and also mine would be a soft tail ha ha..

Your build is looking cool, it gives me ideas on how to improve my ride I'm designing :D

ok how about flipping the pink frame left to right. This puts the drive on the right side and brings the crank closer in and away from the front wheel. Again just some thoughts. I'm sure it'll be cool what ever u decide. Froggy

Awesome work so far!
I like the last thing Froggy suggested, flip the girls bike frame piece front to back, that will move your bb further back away from the front wheel and give you some real nice curves down to it...

Whatever you end up doing, with the parts you have, it will end up cool!

Subscribed and watching! :wink:

Luke.

Back