newbie to mods

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, so far I haven't done so well. The seat, stem and bars were a breeze but I gave up on all the darned cables. Putting an adjustable stem and 5" riser bars on my wife's 18 year old hybrid Schwinn was more work than I had imagined. There just wasn't enough cable to use. I've sent the bike to my local shop as I just don't want to have issues with braking or shifting (21spd) when we're on vacation next week. The good thing though is that she's happy with the new cushy seat and more upright riding position. Next time I'm going to start with an easier bike.

Here's the bike I'm working on...

40525_1385985291395_1284927184_30952247_1191058_n.jpg

My wife likes it so far. New seat, rack, stem, bars and grips. Maybe I'll paint it this winter.

nice looking trail bike, honestly i dont see much wrong with the paint either unless you just want something different.

Nothing wrong with doing most of the work and sending the bike off for the cables. I've done it. Best thing to do is get some old cables, and a good quality bike cable cutter and practice.

There really isn't much wrong with the paint beside a few scrapes and scratches from the past 16 years. I just want to paint a bicycle and she'd probably like something more feminine. Next up will be some fatter and smoother tires and fenders.

Yeah, bigj, I know my limits. I gave it a shot and if I had more time before vacation I would have tried more.

Back