Newbie Questions!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to lace my own wheel. I know there are threads about that. BUT my plan is to put a 3 speed internal hub (sturmey archer or shimano. I have both) on a 26x1.75 wheel. The wheel is a front wheel off a mountain bike. Same amount of spokes as the donor wheel which is a road bike size wheel. Does is matter that I'm using a front wheel to lace up a rear hub?? Question 2: Can you reuse spokes? I'm a do it myself and not spend any money kinda guy but I'll buy what I gotta. Question 3: Has anyone ever installed or tried to install a rear hand brake on an Eliminator? Any ideas?
All responses are appreciated and if any of these questions were discussed in previous threads I apologize. I searched but did not find any answers. Thanks Rodders.

I just laced my first wheel last couple weeks ago. I might not best guy to answer those questions. Yea I believe u can use front rim with rear hub. Yea u can reuse spokes long as it isn't bend or thread stripped. For 3 speeds internal gear to replace existing mountain bike wheel that had cassette gears. I believe 3speed hub is bigger than cassette gears hub. So you would have to shorten your spokes. I think LBS can shorten them for you long as u have right measures.. Make sure you mark label every spokes such like #1 over to #1, #2under to #2, etc... Make sure you mark them to be very clear on cross patterns. I learnt that I can't spoking them in a row but every other 4 then twist it then lace rest two laps. But I believe all those different cross patterns have different ways to lace. I forgot the useful website but I'm sure someone will chrime. The hardest part is true wheel. For hand brake, I'm sure u can get it done by create one. I had similar idea for my future dream eliminator but emergency brake with locks. I'm very interested to see your eliminator builds. What do you mean u want put it on 6 foot? :D

By the way, I'm just rookie so don't depend on my answer too much. Lol

When I said 6 foot frame I meant me (I'm 6'1" ish) :D haha It was originally an eliminator mark 1 with 20 inch wheels. I think the frame design is awesome and I've always loved muscle bikes so I'm trying to build it where my feet don't drag the ground. My ideas with it have changed several times since I bought it off craigslist (for $25 I must say) this past July. I'll post pictures and more info in the Builds section when I get a chance. Unfortunately my phone broke that had the pictures of what I started with so all I have are post paint stripped pictures and mock builds.

I don't know about reusing spokes. I think most experienced Wheel Builders would recommend new spokes. Not to make more money off you, but to ensure your safety. If you use spokes that have already been stressed by building and years of use, you could end up sorry you did.I've read about people here attempting it and used spokes breaking as you tighten them up. :cry:

Just my opinion on this , but it seems like most shops want you to use new spokes
because they are selling you new ones and making money and they are a pain to take off.
They just clip them and it takes a few seconds. I bought a bunch of rims from Indchuckz and
they are the stainless 105 spokes. Never had one break . I wouldn't use old rusty 14g ones though. :roll:

TylerDDavis said:
When I said 6 foot frame I meant me (I'm 6'1" ish) :D haha It was originally an eliminator mark 1 with 20 inch wheels. I think the frame design is awesome and I've always loved muscle bikes so I'm trying to build it where my feet don't drag the ground. My ideas with it have changed several times since I bought it off craigslist (for $25 I must say) this past July. I'll post pictures and more info in the Builds section when I get a chance. Unfortunately my phone broke that had the pictures of what I started with so all I have are post paint stripped pictures and mock builds.

Ha. Did u know they do made 24" eliminator bikes?

I guess buy new spokes are remmcomded.

I've seen em on the net but never in person. But I'm wanting to put 26 inch wheels. I'm hesitant about notching the frame but it's necessary. Thank you all for the spoke input.

Another question. Any opinions on old shimano 3 speed hubs? ive read on the net they are not worth lacing a wheel to. Should I go with the sturmey archer 3 speed I have? It's pretty old as well but functional. I hate to spend time lacing up a wheel that isn't gonna last :oops:

I have reused spoke w/o problem. Again I would not user rusty ones, and my LBS wants $1.25 a piece for them, so unless I need a one off or somthing I re-use. I guess I will see if they will cut and re-thread here for my SA-3 speed I am going to relace.

Re-use of an old spoke is not advised usually but I've had a shop do it whenI blew a crappy mtb hub after just a few months. From what I've seen they go right at the elbow, different stress from a different hub flange maybe. The quality of the original spoke is always a factor, if you don't know it's probably not worth it as the variation is very high. Getting a shop to cut and re-thread a spoke for less than a new spoke costs would be amazing.

Just laced my first rear wheel for rrbbo7, after watching a couple vids on youtube, even the truing went smoooth. Only slight hiccup was when I went for the other side I was one hole off but realized quickly.

Back