Newbie looking for some help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently decided to get a older bike to restore instead of going the route of a new one. I purchased this bike today for $65 from a local collector. He believes that it may be a late 1930's bike. Possibly a Cleveland Welding bike. He wasn't sure, he at first thought it was a Roadmaster. If anyone could help me out by telling me what they think it is and what it is worth that woudl be great. That will give me a start to cleaning it up. He added the hokie plastic angel thingy on the front fender. Thanks!

100_0440.jpg

100_0442.jpg

100_0443.jpg

100_0462.jpg

100_0457.jpg

100_0448.jpg

Looks like it's picked up a couple of newer "wrong" parts over the years, but I'd say you got a sweet deal. The chains alone go for 40 bucks or higher. If the stem and seatpost aren't permanently rust-welded in place I'd say it's worth at least a Franklin, as is.

After looking it over, I had a feeling that the guy may have put a few things on it from his parts stash.

I'm most curious about the frame, make and roughly year. Any thoughts on that? Or is there any other sites that I can go to to find out?

Thanks.

Bob

Your bike had a rear drop stand originally...somebody added the kickstand over the years.(you can tell by the flair by the rear axle)

Im kinda curious as to how ya got a 1/2" pitch chain to fit a 1" pitch crank...

Whats the pitch on the rear cog?

...Oh yeah...

Is that 24" or 26"?

Im guessing 24 just by looking at the pics.

MagicRat said:
Your bike had a rear drop stand originally...somebody added the kickstand over the years.(you can tell by the flair by the rear axle)

Im kinda curious as to how ya got a 1/2" pitch chain to fit a 1" pitch crank...

Whats the pitch on the rear cog?

I honestly don't know. First experience with a bike like this. I can take a few more pictures and post them.
Thanks for the input and the link!

Any guess's on who the mfg was or brand?

Thanks for the help with directing me to http://www.thecabe.com

There was someone there that identified it based on the frame and serial number. According to this person it is a 1939 Colson that was produced and sold for Goodyear. So since I haven't had anyother input, I'll go with that.

Project White Zombie, under way.

Back