Newbie in Michigan...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Been visiting the forum for about 6 months and you all seem like a great bunch of folks. Looking forward to picking your brains, getting feedback, trading/buying, etc! I enjoy what you all do here and really dig the racer/track style rides I stumble across.

I’m new to bicycles but have been into woodworking and “tinkering” for as long as I can remember. I’ve always had the attitude: “Why buy it when I can build something better for 1/3 the price?” I get it from my dad.

A few plans right from the start:
1) TheFlyingDingo hooked me up with a Schwinn Heavy Duty from his basement stash and tossed in some great other parts!
2) I found a cool Worksman frame that could use some attention...
3) A personal project: My sister just brought over my Schwinn Scrambler that I got from my dad when I was a kid. Thought it got left behind when my mom moved but apparently it made the trip! My 6 year old daughter asked me to fix it up for her.

All builds will get a thread pretty soon (as soon as the woodworking project gets finished to clear up garage space).

Here’s to a good time!

Hello and welcome from California!
Sounds like you have a good dad. It’s nice that you give him credit for instilling in you your “can do” attitude! Now it’s your turn . . . get your daughter into the garage every chance you can. Let her help you fix up that Schwinn. Even if it takes ten-times longer to fix the bike than doing it yourself, it will be a learning experience she will have for the rest of her life. :)

Fireproof said:
Hello and welcome from California!
Sounds like you have a good dad. It’s nice that you give him credit for instilling in you your “can do” attitude! Now it’s your turn . . . get your daughter into the garage every chance you can. Let her help you fix up that Schwinn. Even if it takes ten-times longer to fix the bike than doing it yourself, it will be a learning experience she will have for the rest of her life. :)

So true... I was working on building of furniture in the pole barn and she wandered out to see what I was doing... Needless to say my work got sidetracked but we had a blast out there. She was marking and drilling holes with the press and fired off the brad nailer a few times. She's asked me a few times already this week when we can build her a workbench next to mine. Projects take 3x as long when your kids help, but that is time well spent if you ask me!

4578baa9.jpg

Thanks Guys...
haha

Back