NEWB I.D. help.............ELGIN??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I got the bike bug again and picked this frame up from a friend. I've been ravenously searching for parts to turn it into a board tracker, but I don't know what it actually is. Any help? Thanks!

Still looking for wheels and a seat.

frame1.jpg

frame2.jpg

frame3.jpg

frame4.jpg

the tank is a cut up jc higgins tank the frame idk what it is, is there any chance you can take off the tank and
take a picture of the frame?

Nick.

ratina said:
The serial number is Murray so the frame could be Higgins as well. Too bad about the tank those are pretty valuable

Any idea of era?

The tank is a bummer. The previous owner cut the tank to fit a Schwinn-style springer.

Yeah, I'm currently on the lookout for that tank :lol: This is an oddball.. it's definitely Sears of some variety and I would have said JC Higgins right off the bat except the built in dropstand ears throw a wrench in that. Possibly a late prewar or very early postwar Elgin? They do exist but I feel like the dropstand tangs were done before that.

everything about that frame says late 40s early 50s murray built JCHiggy....except the headbadge of course and the rear facing dropouts :?
they looks more like a '41/'42 elgin(still murray built for the most part).
although the drop outs have 2 mount holes...??? the lower ones are for the dropstand that would make sence w/ a 40s elgin. but it also has an upper hole. for a fender support i guess.
very curious :?

Latest posts

Back