New York City bike lane wars, share the road rage

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i briefly read the 2 articles you posted. i didnt notice any statistics on how many cyclists crashed because they were texting at the time, however. :mrgreen:

Should make the Vespa crowd and all other scooters ride with the regular traffic. I firmly feel that there should always be separation from cars and cyclists. I don't trust anyone behind the wheel of a car except me and maybe ....., if I happen to recognize him. It's hard for me to fathom what you are dealing with there as I live in a small rural town but, I know how pathetic many drivers are and that just a jont to the rootbeer stand is life threatening sometimes. As far as cops issuing tickets to bicyclist? That is a load of manure right there! Don't they have better things to do with their time? It's NYC for Heaven's sake! :roll:

^couldnt find the words to say it any better! i think the only way to make the average motorist more aware of cyclists is to make them cyclists themselves. then again, half of 'em still wouldnt care. in my small town area, i always tell my kids always pay attention, not all cars do. and just cause you have the legal right of way doesnt mean it wont still hurt if you get hit.

NYC has gone ticket crazy. The city is looking for revenue. Give them an excuse to write one and they will. It's gotten ridiculous around here.
Parking in a no standing zone is $125.00 fine. I feel bad for the guy in his truck trying to make deliveries to pay his bills.I think bicycle registration will be next. Just another way for them to squeeze a buck out of you.
As for the bicycles on the road people are going to have get use to the new bike lanes which seem to pop up overnight. The city should write a few tickets to the cars that drive in them maybe people will get the message.
Sorry for the rant,but I've been in a few very close shaves with jerks driving in these lanes lately.

Spokes, you are right on the money. And be careful out there on your bike! I can't imagine how busy and difficult it is to ride there but, just keep on riding. Nothing is worse than ticket happy cops. I applaud law enforcement in general for putting their lives on the line each day for us but, they are not always right in their actions and neither is the city. If they want to generate funds for the city, maybe they should work on tourism and making the city safer so, poor old farm boys like me would want to come visit. :wink:

I almost got annihilated riding my bike through Richmond Hill acouple of months ago. Some jerkoff ran a stop sign a missed me by a hair. Where I live in Ozone Park "Joey Guido" decided it was more improtant to text than to stop at the stop sign and almost plowed me. Bottomline, everytime I ride my bike or longboard I have close calls. It's great to see cycling blowing up in NYC, but it's very dangerous. It seems like stop signs are optional in my neighborhood. Oh, like it was said before, the NYPD are writing tickets for everything. I almost got a ticket for riding on the sidewalk. You bet, bike registration will be the next way to sqeeze a buck out of us.

Oh yeah, about 6 months ago I heard somebody screaming outside and my dogs were going nuts in the yard. When I looked out the window, sure enough a gypsy cab plowed a guy on a bike at the intersection by my house. The cyclist had a broken leg.

Yeah I live in Kokomo, In which is MUCH smaller than NYC and we still have idiot drivers. They don't care about bicyclists until you damage their car because they lurch out in a crosswalk and you have to bunny hop onto their hood to keep from getting hurt. Then they start yelling like Jerry Springer as I duck down a pathway where their car won't fit..... :mrgreen:

Back