New to the game

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like being 13 again.

When I was a kid in the mid seventies growing up on Long Island, I went out every week on trash night with a shopping cart tied to the back of my bike. I would come back with any bike part I could find and I always found something. Some of the stuff was junk and some of it wasn't. It didn't matter I'd grab it all and pile it up in the garage. I had enough parts to put together any kind of Frankenbikre monster at the drop of a dime and I did all the time.

Then I got my Driver's license and I soon realized that what I thought was the beginning of my freedom was actually the end of it. Now here I am 30 years later getting ready to take the training wheels off of my kid's bike and I wish I was 13 again. I know I can't drive around and find parts like I used to and buying these parts is an expense I just can't afford, and so that's the end of that. That is until I stumble across this website and find a whole community of folks doing what I want to do w/o breaking the bank. So I've followed the site for a while and have been inspired by the creativity I've seen in here. Now I'm ready to join the game.

Thanks for letting me feel like I'm 13 again,
Rustlust

lol i jut moved from Farmingdale to Florida. Lived most of my life in North Massapequa, i went to Farmingdale HS... small world! I lived in Elmont when i was a kid though, that's western nassau county.

this forum is our freedom. I'm hooked again so I know how you feel. My wife of 9 years saw me take a bike a part and put back together and she couldn't beleive I knew how to do that, all I said was " that's what you do when you're a boy " :D

Back