New to Rat Rod Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading this forum a little in the last couple of weeks. This site is probably closer to me "bicycly" than any thing else. I like rebuilding old bikes and am currently working on a Schwinn Collegiate. I do what I call a neo resto. Rebuilding a bike with mainly modern parts(late '80's and above) that express the original bike and make it better to ride.

I have built one true Rat Rod(for my wife) on a Nishiki frame. I will post pictures here soon. This year I rebuilt my '92-ish Schwinn Montague (for the third time!) which has literally been all around the world. Also I bought a primo 1990 Diamondback Sorrento(that had been ridden, like, three times ). I resto'd it with a period DX drivetrain and Avenir branded pieces. I redid my wife's 1992 Giant Option into a sort of Bridgestone-ish City/Mountain/Beach Cruiser. Also have some other bikes. I will post pics of all soon.

Welcome!

Here's my wife's bike
IMG_0042-1.jpg

IMG_0043-1.jpg

IMG_0044-2.jpg

This bike has a NOS Shimano Nexus Positron 7 drivetrain(Euro only early '90's). The shifter had an oddball mount, so I got a bronze antenna grounding bracket from Lowe's and mounted it. Looks way cool in real life. The white front hub is a '98 NOS SRAM 9.0. Seat and bell are from Electra. Fork is an NOS OEM e-bay special RST sanded down and painted black. The Seat was the most expensive part, as I had to buy it retail. I paid 10 bucks for the Nishiki frame. The exterior was in fairly bad shape when I got it, and I was debating on whether or not to even use it. But it turned out nicely.

Welcome to the best site ever...if you are like me, you'll be spending quite a bit of time here. Have a good time, and never stop turnin' wrenches!

Back