NEW TO BIKE AND CLUELESS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEY EVERYONE IM LESLIE...I JUST PURCHASED A BIKE THAT I BELIEVE IS A 1951 SCHWINN. I CAN TELL BY LOOKING AT OTHER PICS THAT SEVERAL THINGS ON IT ARE NOT OG. I WANNA KEEP THE SPRINGER FRONT END BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT OTHER FACTORY ITEMS CAME WITH THE BIKE, EXAMPLE HEADLIGHT, REAR RACK, REFLECTORS, AND CHAIN GUARD. ALSO I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT MODEL OF SCHWINN IT IS...PLEASE HELP. IT DOES HAVE A SERIAL NUMBER UNDER THE PEDALS (A19879). THANKS FOR ANY INFO PROVIDED.
img1604z.jpg

img1601kd.jpg

probally a hollywood and lucky you have a tank 8) also can i see more pics of the V-dub in the backround it looks sick :mrgreen:

11/15/ 51 is when it was made give or take a day. welcome from nor cal as well and nice volks rod wanna see some pics of that too

nice chick bike amd ive seen pics of the VOLKSROD on other sites

Fireproof said:
( Are those some sharp, pointy things on the side of that bug where the trim used to be? Never seen that before and I've been a VW fan for a long time! )

Yeah, they are the spikes that the punk/rock people usually have in their ball caps...got them at hot topic and just screwed them into every hole, they are all down the hood too.

I had trouble finding a 51 catalog, but I found a 52. I cant imagine that much changed though. Looks like it could have been a Panther, Starlet, or a Hornet. Either way it looks like the headlight would have been a Delta Ray Rocket which are not cheep if you can find one. If you check the For Sale forum you might find some stuff you need. Or you can ask if people are selling what you need in the Wanted Section. Everyone on this board is really cool, and usually answer any questions you have.

1952_03.jpg

1952_05.html

Hey Leslie-
Nice to meet you and welcome to Rat Rod Bikes. Looks like you already fit in with this crowd.

Seems like the same people into VW's are often into Schwinns- maybe it's something about
classic, solid design or maybe it's the simplicity of the two types of machines... either
way I find the connection over and over and over again.

I haul my bikes in a 70 Bus.... go to the local car shows and the VW meets around the area, and
a lot of times bring bikes along to the shows. If I had a nickel for every person who tells me a
story of "I had one of those" about my bus or my Stingrays or any of the other bikes... I'd be
able to afford another Bus!

Take care and enjoy the site.
--Rob

Welcome Leslie!!!
Wow, your VW looks pretty similar to the one I had!!
Looking too build a rattier one by the end of next year :wink: no roof this time!

Love those Budweiser door panels!!

Greetings Rat Girl. KQQL find on your 51 Schwinner. KQQL beetle too. Did you bring it out to the VDub "Classic" show in Irvine a couple years ago!? It's the biggest VDub show on the planet! Peeps from Europe fly their VDubs to CAli for this show. Anyways have a great day!

~Keep it grimey, 61rustrat

Back