new tall bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it's been a long while since i played with the welder so decided to try another tall bike so i flipped the frame and welded a lil here and there. First test ride went good and now i'm addicted and need to go higher so i'm gonna clean it up and sell. I already have 2 frames clamped 1 on top of the other for the next one. Anyway here she in on her maiden voyage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvHKVLcR-vQ

yeah i could have fun in my neck of the woods with one of them contraptions. :mrgreen: just need to find two bikes in the trash.

I am so bummin' I can't use YouTube on 64 bit. Post a picture. I take it it's old school when you flipped the frame over. My tall bike is three years old now and I'm 57. I'm using a shimano 3-speed coaster brake for the rear and it's the only way to go. This time of year I can maintain 14MPH. On a hill I clocked 28MPH (can't discribe that in words here). I have to duck my head for 2 bike tunnels, one I'm good.

peestop.JPG

Today I fished from the scrap heaps at the dump, two fair sized tubes with a large curve in it. This will make my next tall bike with the handle bars as far up as I can reach from the ground. It's going to be a tall mother :shock: . I'm still in the middle of 2 builds and I don't know when I'll get to it but I just got the tubes, got to think on it!

Great view in the summer time from up here.

GL

It's a blast to ride ! It's easy to get up and down now but there is a few things I have to watch out for. It's tail heavy and wants to wheelie. To top heavy for me to keep it straight in a wheelie. It's tough to get going uphill and you got to watch out for tree branches. The top of my head is 8 feet. Watch out for basketball hoop nets! The worst is going on a long ride, you get to relaxed up there and tend to forget how high up you really are. :shock:
I forgot to mention about your mounting. I'm not sure if you can do this on your type of tallbike being that it may not like the stress on it. When you stack 2 bikes use a ladies as the top bike so it's easier to get your leg through. Here's how I mount. set the right pedal in a ready position . Put your right foot on the lowest bottom bracket and set youself in motion. You can practice that position for a while to get used to it. Then take your left foot and place it on the man bar of the bottom bike and then pass your right foot over the ladies bar and place it on the pedal you preset, if you forgot to preset it you maybe screwed now :cry: Also it would be wise to have a bell or something like that to let them know your there. People in front of you may stop suddenly and messup your day!

GL

I'll try and find my high bike from when i was a kid.My dad welded 2 frame together to make mine.That thing you said about the front end being light is no joke.I looped that thing so many times!Ive been wanting to build one again lately.So hopefully i'll have a pic of mine up soon.

bikejunkie said:
I'll try and find my high bike from when i was a kid.My dad welded 2 frame together to make mine.That thing you said about the front end being light is no joke.I looped that thing so many times!Ive been wanting to build one again lately.So hopefully i'll have a pic of mine up soon.

I'd like to see that.

Look at this, it may jog your memory.
http://www.atomiczombie.com/gallery-tallbike.htm

GL

lobsterboyx said:
nice caprice wagon too!

Thanks i Love my woody wagon there just something about woodgrain and an LT1 that makes me happy....oh and about the front being light your soooo right took the bike on it's first REAL ride today (with the family) all was good till my 4yr old daughter cut me off i (in instinct) pulled back and right and the bike pulled UP i jumped but because i was to "wanting to ride" i never cut off the rest of the rear stays from the seat post and and got a NICE gash in my calf. So Anyway i'm in the middle of 2 stacked frames (will make for a more rigid steering. So it will be a few inches higher but more fun.

Back