NEW STUFF AT WAL-MART (Op Bike PICS ADDED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a couple of post last Dec. 7 and Dec. 23 2011. on this, not sure how to do the link thing,I have bought several of return or on sale Huffy's but never a deal like that. The guy at Huffy told me about the three speed Regatta,but looks better than I thought.He said they have a new larger bike comimg out also but no details at the time. I guess I should have posted it here but didn't see it until later.Over 200 veiws 1 responds.

outskirtscustoms said:
SlowPed said:
I'm almost afraid to go to Walmart anymore. Everytime I go I come home with another bike. This is number 5!

That's not necessarily a bad thing. And for the price you'd be doing good to get two tires.

They usually have more than just a few bikes. Yesterday they must have had thirty. This was the only cruiser style, most were multi-speed mountain bike types. At another local store I passed on an Onyx that was 40% off a few months ago. I guess I do have a little self contol.

I visited my local Walmart today, and inquired if they had any scratch N dent or clearanced bikes (not in so few words, I chatted them up a bit beforehand) and was told they cut up the returns and dented ones and throw them in the dumpster. :!: :shock:

clerkkent said:
I visited my local Walmart today, and inquired if they had any scratch N dent or clearanced bikes (not in so few words, I chatted them up a bit beforehand) and was told they cut up the returns and dented ones and throw them in the dumpster. :!: :shock:

Sounds like a dumpster dive is in order!

brett4christ said:
clerkkent said:

Sounds like a dumpster dive is in order!

If it could be done I would've already done it. Walmart has compactors, not dumpsters, all trash is compacted and sealed off. One of their reasons is because of the types of items they throw away, if people could get it for free, they wouldn't buy it, and Walmart isn't having any of that.

I was in Myrtle Beach this weekend and stopped in their WalMart to see what they may have. First stop was the Garden Center. There I found several bikes on hooks with notes on them as to why they were there. None were for sale. They were waiting for replacement/repair parts!!!! After the fix, they sell them full retail. One Cranbrook already had rust showing on the handlebars and stem!!! Imagine paying retail for patina on a new bike!!!

On the other hand, they had a really cool setup for their assembler. Looked like it was his full-time job! They had a metal utility building installed under the covered Garden Center roof, which kept it relatively dry, and it was well equipped with nice Park tools and lots of Rubbermaid bins with parts and pieces. I'll try to post pics this evening.

East Bound and Down in MB! Somebody please convince me that it is better to spend $150 to fix up an old Chicago Schwinn than to buy a new Huffy Cranbrook for $80! I bought 2 Bell 26" Whitewalls for $36 and a new Cranbrook is $80. I still need 2 tubes, a seat post and fork and 2 wheels to fix up my 60's Schwinn. Am I living a dream now or just waking up?

Turtle

Make sure you swing by Beach Bike Shop in Myrtle Beach proper, a block or so over (inland direction) from the old Pavilion site. I think it's around the 501/Business 17 intersection. Great shop. lots of parts! Cool bikes for ideas. Nice folks and they've been in business for 25 years....in the same spot!

Turtlesixfour said:
East Bound and Down in MB!

Viva La Flama Blanca!

brett4christ said:
Turtle

Make sure you swing by Beach Bike Shop in Myrtle Beach proper, a block or so over (inland direction) from the old Pavilion site. I think it's around the 501/Business 17 intersection. Great shop. lots of parts! Cool bikes for ideas. Nice folks and they've been in business for 25 years....in the same spot!

There is also a a little bike shop on the stretch headed toward little river where they sell cruiser bikes, the owner is a really nice guy and actually had a bunch of old 50's and 60's cruisers in the back he will show off to you. Its on the right at a little 4-way intersection in the middle of nowhere.

I know the one. It's actually in North Carolina, just above Calabash on US 17. I haven't stopped there yet...i'm usually flying through that area.

brett4christ said:
I know the one. It's actually in North Carolina, just above Calabash on US 17. I haven't stopped there yet...i'm usually flying through that area.

Yea, you should stop in and check him out, he had a custom Donald duck bike from like the 40's or 50's I think that he had dropped alot of doe on having it restored, 24". He also had an old spaceliner, complete in good shape and quite a few others all lined up in rows accross the back of the shop.

Just came from Walmart they had a new 29" Onyx GX7 siver (dull alum.) nice bike HUGE but the chrome or polished look on the fenders way super crappie! Sells or $179.The Mrs. bike is pretty cool to its white.sorry no pics. didnt have my phone (cam)

Turtlesixfour said:
East Bound and Down in MB! Somebody please convince me that it is better to spend $150 to fix up an old Chicago Schwinn than to buy a new Huffy Cranbrook for $80! I bought 2 Bell 26" Whitewalls for $36 and a new Cranbrook is $80. I still need 2 tubes, a seat post and fork and 2 wheels to fix up my 60's Schwinn. Am I living a dream now or just waking up?

The welds on the Cranbrooks are horrible. I've built 2 of them for friends. Go with the old Schwinn.

Latest posts

Back