NEW STUFF AT WAL-MART (Op Bike PICS ADDED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look on the website at the 20" General Lee and then look at Dingo's picture of it. DK is now required because of selling through Walmart to add the reflectors and chainguard. This is how it begins.

Now, as long as they are in, if you've ever wanted a 24" BMX cruiser, the General Lee for $179 is a smoking deal in my opinion. $299 for the 26" is pretty nice too, but I can't beat the 24" price.

TheFlyingDingo said:
I was thinking the same thing. I was considering putting a 24" General Lee on layaway...but nobody around me is carrying it. 50 mile radius.

Too bad you can't layaway site-to-store. Nobody around me either.

Can anyone give me some input on the Huffy Cranebrook wheels? The cranebbrooks are on sale for 79 and I'm thinking of taking pretty much everything off of them to use on some frames I have.

chepe13 said:
Can anyone give me some input on the Huffy Cranebrook wheels? The cranebbrooks are on sale for 79 and I'm thinking of taking pretty much everything off of them to use on some frames I have.

I seem to remember some info on Cranbrook wheels somewhere here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32667

I saw at Wal-mart some BMX bikes with awesome aluminum mags. The were about $120 which is too steep for me for 20" wheels but man, they were cool.

TheFlyingDingo said:
I dont get it. Most of us said we planned on purchasing one, or we were interested.

What? I would be interested in a bike shop quality BMX, but I don't know if these are being made different now to be able to offer them at Walmart prices and inventory numbers.

Buck Masterson said:
General Lee looks good.

Yeah, this is what confuses me, the General Lee is a bike that DK has been offering for a few years, so is this the exact same quality bike you could've gotten last year in a bike shop or did they have to lower the quality of some components, frame construction, or warranty/customer service to put them in Walmart?

They have this cool little 24 incher I may pic up after Christmas if available. Something small to ride when taking a ride with my 6 year old, she's so slow I fall off of my other stuff unless I'm rolling on the girl frame bike.

10281120452.jpg

I looked at DKs website and see nothing about their sellout status, in fact they are still pushing a banner on their website that says "Support Your Local Bike Shop." None of the Walmart DK bikes are listed on their website. I checked out a BMX forum and those guys are kind of upset, as I am. They were saying that DK limits the mail order sales to help boost bike shop sales, but now this?

They also said that DK is owned by Huffy... hmmmm... :|

1) If you don't like a bike, then don't buy it.

2) I have no problem with a company doing what they have to do to stay a float. If they were not willing to do so, then why even be in business?

3) I'm offended by Huffy hate. I happen to like the ones I have.

4) In order to know what is for sale at Wal-Mart, you have to shop there. Weather you buy a bike or not you are supporting the sales. If you don't like the products they sell then don't buy ANYTHING there.

5) See #1.

They are probably just like all of the other brands out there these days.

Typically these companies end up having two lines of bikes....one for department stores and one for bike shops.

The bike shop versions are usually better quality and more expensive.

I'm assuming that DK line up won't be any different.

I do have to say that the 24" General Lee for $179 does seem like it might be a fun bike to ride around the neighborhood streets on. :D

WALMART??? careful guys you may get some nasty replies from the hardcore guys. Personally I think for the price they sell the Cranbrooks it's a parts bike. The rims and tires are pretty decent and the 89 dollars it cost's the rest is throw away. I bought one for just that reason. When I took off the tires and rims for another project I posted an ad on CL for someone to come get the rest of the bike.>.FREE

Sure beats some of the ad's i have seen. Rims and tires for 100 a piece.....aaaaaah...NO

Rat Rod said:
This Xenia is pretty interesting too...although a bit pricey.

Chromoly frame and chromoly 3 piece cranks.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/DK-Xenia-26-B ... gMethod=rr

I dunno, I think its the perfect price. There was supposed to be one at the local walmart, but of course it was gone when I got there.

But I would love the 24" General Lee.

Just talked to my local bike shop. They wrote DK saying basically "Thanks, it's been fun." When I worked in the shop in the 90's Mongoose did the same thing. They lost 90% of their Independent bike shops...history repeating itself again. :?

Bigcam59 said:
Just talked to my local bike shop. They wrote DK saying basically "Thanks, it's been fun." When I worked in the shop in the 90's Mongoose did the same thing. They lost 90% of their Independent bike shops...history repeating itself again. :?

I sent DK an e-mail last night that said this:

Is there a press release you can point me to that will outline the decision to sell "entry level" DK bicycles through Walmart retail stores? Any information on the quality of these bicycles compared to bicycle shop DK bikes and what kind of warranty and customer support these bikes will or will not get through DK. Thank you very much.

Justin D. Fender

I will let you know if I get an answer, but I won't be holding my breath.

Had to run by WM this evening and swung by the bike dept. real quick to see what they had.

The only thing worthy of note was this 24" aluminum BMX/MTB cruiser for $149.00.

I'm sure all of the components on the bike are junk, but I guess you can't expect much for $149.

Still, seemed like it might be a fun bike to goof around on....unless something breaks. :shock: :lol:

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

And then there was this nifty Mongoose..

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

Latest posts

Back