New "scout" seat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up this "Scout" seat on the 'bay. I couldn't pass it up! I just have to find something to put it on! The leather is pretty hard. Is there something I can use (leather conditioner?) to soften the leather? Anybody have any experience with this?

4278299292_83a9cb7832.jpg

I have heard Lexol recommended a lot. I have used it myself but on new leather so I haven't seen it bring a hide back from the dead. I like that Ace hardware carries it.

I've also heard a couple of people recommend soaking it in motor oil. I haven't tried that but, I've gotta say, it sounds pretty rat.

Don't use Lexol! Try Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator...really good stuff and after it's dry, doesn't leave a "slick" unlike Lexol. I used to make "Old West' holsters and did repairs on some pretty cool antiques as wel as saddles and the Tandy Leather shop turned me onto the Doc Jackson's stuff. Plus it softens your hands! :wink:

I like lexol. Doesn't darken the leather. Use the cleaner first, then just spray the lexol every day for a few days. Let it soak in overnight, then rub off the excess in the morning. Then repeat til the leather gets supple. I also spray the underside of the seat as well.

Spin

I've had great luck with Lexol have used it on saddles and my cars. It only leaves a slick if you don't clean first, or wipe down the excess.
Another option might be Brooks (saddles) "Proofide" leather conditioner. It's made specifically for their leather saddles, and is great stuff.
BTW - cool saddle! 8)

Back