new Roadmaster skip tooth

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I told myself no more Girls bikes, But 1 look at the condition and I brought her home. Lock was unlocked, seller pushed the lock shut as I was leaving with it, and no, he has no key
roadmaster001.jpg

roadmaster002.jpg

roadmaster003.jpg

roadmaster004.jpg

roadmaster005.jpg

roadmaster006.jpg

roadmaster007.jpg

roadmaster008.jpg

roadmaster009.jpg

THAT IS A VERRY ORIGINAL LOOKING BIKE I LOVE THE PATINA ON IT

SO THE ONLY THING TO DO ON THAT IS A VERRY DETAIL CLEAN UP JOB AND THAT'S IT :!:

HAVE FUN :) BY THE WAY NICE GARAGE LOVE THE TOY ON THE LIFT :D

Any locksmith worth his salt can pick that lock and make a key for you. :wink: I could even get it open , but the key cutting is a little more difficult. Not much though.

Nice one, Rick. I was going to say the same thing as necessaryevil... those leak proof batteries really lived to the name. :wink: Sweet patina! Digging the lock and the light.

My brother was adept at picking locks like that. He would take a thin piece of brass and cut it into the shape of a key. Then he painted it with Dykem die marking fluid and slipped it into the lock. He wiggled it back and forth so the tumbler pins would leave a mark on the blue Dykem. He then used a file to cut notches in the brass "key" where the notches went and presto! Instant key. Gary

Nice bike! The lock cylinder was either made by the Illinois Lock Co. or the Chicago Lock Co. It has the code number on the face of it. It has wafer tumblers as opposed to pin tumblers like most locks. They were mainly used on amusment devices like gumball machines and drink boxes and juke boxes. Hard to pick! The key doesn't have notches like most keys, but has a profile on both sides of the key. Your best bet is to find a locksmith that has been around a long time that still has the right code book and key blank for it. I still have some of my dads old code books and give me the code and I might be able to come up with the cuts for it. Go ahead and soak the inside of the tumblers with WD-40. A problem with those locks that may have been sitting unused for a while is the lock pawl inside can get stuck and even with the correct key, the tumbler cylinder wont turn. Thanks!!!!

Nice find, but I'm drooling over the fact that you have a lift in your garage! And what I'd guess is an old Mopar on it? -Adam

kz, Nice bike ! I like the 40 Chevy coupe in the background too. I have a 40 Chevy two-door sedan. I've had it since 1980. What suspension and running gear does yours have. I first built mine with a Nova front subframe then eventually rebuilt the car and switched to a Mustang II suspension. I put a v8 and automatic in it the first time but am now in the process of switching to an inline six with a three-on-the-tree overdrive transmission. Let's see more of the coupe.Merry Christmas.

thom said:
kz, Nice bike ! I like the 40 Chevy coupe in the background too. I have a 40 Chevy two-door sedan. I've had it since 1980. What suspension and running gear does yours have. I first built mine with a Nova front subframe then eventually rebuilt the car and switched to a Mustang II suspension. I put a v8 and automatic in it the first time but am now in the process of switching to an inline six with a three-on-the-tree overdrive transmission. Let's see more of the coupe.Merry Christmas.

Yes a 1940 Chevy, I installed a complete TCI Mustang 2 frontend, 350 crate motor, TH350 tranny, A/C. all the goodies, that's why it has been an 18 year slow project, Thanks for the compliments, Rick
40chevy001.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

BankerRAt said:
I wont tell anyone you bought a girlie bike Rick!!!

I will.

Late 40's-early fiftys. Certainly a reasonable parts source for a pre-war bike, if you're not worried about technically "correct" restoration, although in some cases the parts might be correct. The one in the picture is also re-painted.

Back