New member from Indy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lurking around here the past couple weeks, so I figured I'd make a quick intro post.

Even though I've been around bikes pretty much my entire life, I've recently gotten bitten by the vintage bike bug. Not because of any fad, but because there was something about the lines that drew me to them. I'm more partial to the "boardtracker" look, than the "rat rod" side of things, and tend towards the more subdued statements. I've been wrenching, riding, racing bikes since the '70's, but never really looked too closely at some of these.

Anyway, I have a couple old Schwinns, but have my eyes on a couple more finds and projects.

The first is an '80 Cruiser that I had hanging in my basement since the late '90's. I just grabbed it during my days as a mechanic, with no real plans for it. It was just a frame, fork, crank, post and seat when I got it. Paint is original, and in pretty good nick.

80_Cruiser_6_14_1.jpg

80_Cruiser_6_14_2.jpg

I built up some wheels with drum brakes, snagged another fork, grabbed a stem and bars, and put it together.
I still need to get another lever for the front brake, do something with the seat post, and change the rear cog out, but it rides nice. Kind of just a utility cruiser.

The other is a '58 Schwinn Spitfire that I picked up a couple months ago.

58_Spitfire.jpg

As far as I can tell, it's original, save for the wheels/tires, grips and bell. I need to fix some shenanigans with the seat bracket, and give it a once over, but this baby is staying as is.

I have a couple more projects in my head. Just waiting for the right specimens to make themselves known.

Anyway, a not-so-quick hello! Looking forward to investigating and sharing.

Back