New Member from Alabama

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to everyone.

I have lurked here for some time and I really enjoy this forum.

You all inspired me to try my hand at a bike build. I have bought a 1939 (I think) CWC made Western Flyer. I have torn the bike down completely and I am starting the refinsh now. My 11 year old son is helping me and it is making for some great times so far. We are both learning a lot.

I am 43 and grew up riding BMX bikes in the 70's and 80's. My dad had a Higgins Spaceliner when I was a little kid that I would love to replace!! They sold it at a yard sale many years ago unfortunately.

I was lucky to have a great LBS when growing up and I had a few nice BMX bikes that I cut my teeth on.....Mongoose, DG, Torker and a Redline.

I have been out of biking for a long time. My sons are my inspiration. I have two boys, 7 and eleven. They love to ride bikes. So, I bought the wife a early 70's Schwinn Breeze and now I am building me something to ride. We hope to make some great memories on our bikes.

Best regards, Brad

you have to work pretty hard to not have a good time with bikes.. its great family time welcome .. enjoy .. post pics of the bike your building

This is the Cleveland Welding bike I am fixing up for myself. It is marked Western Flyer on the head badge. I have it completely stripped down now and I am working at removing to multiple layers of paint. I absoulutely love the shape of these frames. The chain stays have such great lines.

I am going to go with a patina look on the frame I think. All I am re-purposing for my build is the frame and the rear fender.

The seat post clamp is apparantly welded to the frame and it looks original. Is that common for CWC's?

2009_0928tuesday0003-crop.jpg

2009_0928tuesday0015-crop.jpg

Please let me know what you think.

Regards, Brad

Latest posts

Back