New life to and old bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I know some folks on here like to keep them original and let the rust tell the story. Other folks like to clean them up as a refresher but leaving the original paint. Some folks like to restore back do the day they were born.

Then there is the crowd that wants to give them a whole new life, if you could get any old frame and redo into something new what would your preferred old bike be?

If money were no object mine would be to find a '37 Elgin Bluebird and chop and lower it on some 24 X 3 tires, add a Nexus 7 speed, some ape hangers, maybe stretch it a little, then paint it with a false patina to make it look as though it was customized back when it was new. Then I'd ride it till the wheels fell off. 8)

This one might not seem like a hard frame to come by to build off of but I just want a 60s or 70s cantilever cruiser frame so I can start my SOUL CATCHER project

Peatbog said:
I figure if I'm going to change it anyway, then something cheap is good, like this:

Torker.jpg

Cut and weld, and make yourself something. It's still cheap, but it's yours.

1small.jpg

So I guess my main requirement is pretty much just low cost, mainly because I am just plain cheap.

nice

Well, Migz one of them is a Spaceliner Custom, so thanks for the frame. I like to refurbish and customize with a fixture of new and old parts. Although, being able to keep the original paint is awesome. All original is not my gig at this point, but that may change someday. I have a 1950s vintage 24" Western Fyer that I am considering restoring to original, because it has 99% of the original parts.

I have several I like:

Older frames:

1. Elgin Twin Bar
2. Spaceliner
3. Schwinn Chicago Vintage Heavy Duti/Ballooners in the cantilever style frames
4. 1940s vintage Columbia

Being a bigger guy at 6'2", I have several newer frames I like as well, like the cantilevers out now with the pedal forward design.....

Latest posts

Back