new here

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to this scene, sort of.

I'm 30, live outside Denver, and am a bicycle nut. I mainly ride flatland and old school BMX bikes, but I really want to do a few customs. For those outside of Denver, be envious of us. We have a weekly themed pub crawl centered on bicycles and costumes called Denver Cruisers. Anywhere from 300-1000 people show up each wednesday. In full costume. Ride from bar to bar, then participate in a giant thing called the circle of death. Basically 200 people riding at different speeds in a circle, in both directions. Most are on cruisers.

So I want to build 2 bikes. A 20" BMX style bike, built in the normal beach cruiser style. Except BMX forks, bars, wheels, etc. But I want to use mountain bike hubs laced to 20" wheels, so I can add disk brakes. Should be rideable like a bmx, easily maneuverable in traffic in the circle of death, yet still fits the idea of a cruiser. Should be easy to build, just need the right frame, then shorten some mountain bike forks and widen the rear chainstays.

Then I want to build a full custom. I want something long and low, still in the style of a cruiser, but like a mix rat rod/chopper/cruiser. So I drew this up. Ignore how the back part of the wheel is cut off, I started at the edge of the page and drew forward, and didn't plan on adding wheels, so it came out chopped off.

IMG00049-20100210-1759.jpg

The downtube would be one piece from the headtube to the seatpost. The top tube would be two pieces. Where to begin? I don't know but I have til May to get it done. I'd also like to make it belt drive instead of chain, though I don't know if that is possible with the length of what this will end up being.

Anyone have any ideas where to start? Forks/bars/stem/cranks/bearings/seat/fender/wheels should be easy enough to buy, but the frame will have to be custom. Maybe two cruiser frames will give me enough to make the top tube, seat tube and rear portion(seat & chain stays), but the downtube is going to be a pita.

welcome and neat design but a few things. look at your design and think of where your knees will be at the top of the stroke. but go for it just take it slow and take it one tube at a time. and another thing rather than trying to hack tubes just go get yourself some tubing and bend it yourself. good luck

Karfer your starting to sound like me. Hey Chris there are a lot of talented builders on this site , that you can get ideas from. Good luck with your build. :lol:

Yeah, the logistics of knee/arm placement would be something sorted out once the rest of the bike is close to completion. I am more worried about strength and weight.

You mention getting tubing and bending them myself. Not an issue, but I have no clue where to get that type of tubing. Any clues?

If you are planning on building the frame with a belt drive remember the frame has to come apart for the belt to be added and removed. The Trek bikes at work come apart at the rear drop-outs.
GoDistdetail1.jpg

Back