New guy Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Guys...

Well...being a bigger guy...(6'-3"..250#)....I was looking for a bike that I felt comfortable on...without my knees hitting the handlebars. Found one...the 29" ONYX at WalMart. Now...one reason I bought this...was based on inspiration I got from this site. To be able to create a bike that looked the way I want it to look.... without breaking the bank....or at least spreading it out over time anyway. :) I want to put Cream colored tires on it...and have found those....but am wondering what links/catalogs you guys use for you wish lists for other components. I am really interested in eventually converting it from the single speed to at least a 3-speed. Whether I would need just a new hub...or a whole new wheel....I have yet to learn.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guys!

Jerry

Hey Jerry

Welcome aboard! Ive been thinkin of getting one of those too, dont know how often id use it since I have a hard enough time choosing what bike to ride already :lol: :roll:

For parts you can search the for sale sections here, and ebay, your LBS (local bike shop) will more then likely help you order parts also, i always try support my lil guy bike shops first. but also check out this link viewtopic.php?f=2&t=303

And for a 3 spd you can just swap out the hub, if you cant relace and true the wheel yourself your LBS can do it for you, id go with a shimano nexus 3 spd I have a few of them on my bikes, no issues, awesome hubs.

Ty

Thanks for the help guys. I really do believe in supporting the Local Bike Shops....and there are (3) in the area I live in...but they pretty much support road bikes. One is a complete dump....I think the guy lives there...and has no idea of what a vacuum cleaner is (bits of food...paper all over the showroom floor). Another shop has a great mechanic...and I have taken my mountain bike there for tune-ups....but his parts pricing is really high. The third shop is hit and miss on being open...as the owners also run a pizza place/deli....and they sometimes have nobody to staff it. THEREFORE...I think my best bets will be to buy parts myself...and then take to the one LBS for anything I do not feel comfortable handling.

Jerry

2841981.jpg

I got my wheels here:

http://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike-parts/wheel-front-1.html

Back