New guy from Fl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I've been a bike guy for a long time and a frequent forum member of other sites. To be honest, I'm not one of those people who feel like if you own the latest carbon fiber addon, it makes you a better cyclist. I love to talk about bikes and I find myself in good company if others I'm around are into it for the love of the bike and not because they spent more on it than I did my car.

I've been lurking around this forum for a while now reading the threads and drooling over the gallery. This seems like the perfect place for me to hang out and talk about bikes and people seem to have a pretty good attitude. I guess I've had my fill on other forums with people who are like heat-seeking 'joy' destroyers. I can't count how many times I've read a thread written by some guy who found a bike in some dusty old garage sale that he just fell in love with and wrote a thread about it just looking for someone to share in his joy and rather than give the guy a 'chuck on the chin', he gets knocked out. The 'my bicycle matches my golf clubs' brigade comes out of the woodwork to tell the guy that his new bike that he's happy with is garbage compared to the 8oz carbon fiber bike they are riding.

So that's me.. I'm the anti-expensive bike guy. I buy bikes of any age and fix them up and sell them one at a time as a hobby and I also ride the heck out of bikes that most people wouldn't ride. I'm 39 and I'd rather ride a BMX bike than a road bike. I'm not fond of derailleurs and I'll take a one piece crank over a 3 piece any day. Just because I love the simplicity and if maintained, will last a lifetime. My theory is, the easier it is to service, the longer it will last... especially if you love to tear into a bike and keep it in good shape. I don't build bikes, but I rebuild them.

Anyhow, looks like I've found the right place for my thinking. There's some pretty inspiring work going on around here and I hope to be able to share my own bikes as well as stand in awe at everyone elses. :)

Thanks guys.. good to see some fellow Florida folks.. :p

I'm from Silver Springs/Ocala area myself. Not too much of a bike culture around here, but seems to be growing fast since gas prices have gone up so much.

Back