New guy from Athens, GA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everybody, this is Jason from Athens, GA. I volunteer as a manager of the BikeAthens Bike Recycling Program (www.BikeAthens.com/BRP). We refurbish donated bikes and work with local social service agencies to provide them to folks who can't afford conventional transportation to work or school.

We get a lot of interesting donations, and we sell some of the higher value or collectable bikes to cover our rent and supply costs. We recently lost some of our storage space so we're getting rid of a lot of the project bikes we'd hoped to save for a rainy day. Have a look at www.facebook.com/AthensVintageBikeBazaar to see if there's anything you're interested in.

I've goofed around with some ratrod-ish projects of my own: a rusty yellow Raleigh Record mixte with a 2-speed coaster brake hub, and a 1990s Trek 830 with a 1970s Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub, seatstay mounted suicide shifter, and cafe racer style handlebars. Recently I grabbed what I suspect is a CWC-made Western Flyer frame that I will need advice from the folks here to build up.

Welcome from Savannah.
Post some pics of the CWC.
THWG by the way. ;)

Hey we talked on the phone the other day! Hope you make it to my swap meet in Dallas!

Deathbike is a great name! One of the rarest prewar balloon tire bikes of all time was given the nick name deathbike! That's why it's rare! It was dangerous and recalled shortly after production!

Only known death bike left!
1930sHuffmanDeathBike_zps5e661662.jpg

Hey we talked on the phone the other day! Hope you make it to my swap meet in Dallas!

Deathbike is a great name! One of the rarest prewar balloon tire bikes of all time was given the nick name deathbike! That's why it's rare! It was dangerous and recalled shortly after production!

Thanks! "Deathbike" is the name a friend gave to my wicked daily commuter and is also my long-time online moniker. I'm going to try to get out to the swap meet! Even if I can't get any volunteers to help I'll at least try to load up the car with as much as possible to bring over.

Thanks! "Deathbike" is the name a friend gave to my wicked daily commuter and is also my long-time online moniker. I'm going to try to get out to the swap meet! Even if I can't get any volunteers to help I'll at least try to load up the car with as much as possible to bring over.

Here is the thread for the Swap. Go over and post you are coming to let everyone get an ideal of what you are bringing.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/winter-swap-in-the-south-feb-22-dallas-ga.78965/

And here is my Deathbike 2.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/27q7kg7fq6f4dt9/2014-01-23 17.03.06.jpg

The first one was built around a Mongoose IBOC frame that sadly developed some cracked welds. This new one is a tank. I've even carried a car battery on the front rack (HT to CETMA Cargo).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Deathbike is cool.:cool2: What's the spring on the downtube for?

BTW, I like the name, I just found humor in the thought of someone having reservations about receiving a recycled bike from a guy named Deathbike! Looking forward to meeting you at the swap in Dallas.

The Deathbike is cool.:cool2: What's the spring on the downtube for?

BTW, I like the name, I just found humor in the thought of someone having reservations about receiving a recycled bike from a guy named Deathbike! Looking forward to meeting you at the swap in Dallas.

Thanks! The spring is a home-made and heavier duty version of this: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/vo-wheel-stabilizer.html It's for keeping the front end from swinging around when I'm loading the basket. It serves its purpose and doesn't affect steering at all, and not bad for a couple bucks worth of hardware. Even without a load up front, with the double kickstand if the front end swings around it has a weird way of throwing the whole bike over.

Latest posts

Back