New from Colorado, new bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. My name is Brandon and live south of Denver in Colorado. Last weekend I picked up a cruiser bike for myself and my girlfriend. I am new to cruiser bikes, but it seems like a fun way to waste some time.

The girl's bike is a 1964 Raleigh 3 speed mixte, seems very solid and is riding great, and she loves it. My bike is, as far as I can tell, an AMF American Flyer. I don't know much about it other than it has a Perry coaster brake hub, and the guy I bought it from thought it was from the late 50s. It has an AMF Wheel Goods Division sticker on the seat tube, and a punched metal badge on the fork tube that says "American Flyer Sportster - Precision Built." If anyone has additional info on this make/model, I'd love to learn a little more about it. My google fu isn't turning up much. I have an itch to add a few things to it, but I am not in a hurry and want to do some learning first.

Here are a couple poor quality photos. I am hoping to snap some better ones tonight. Look forward to posting and reading here - seems like a good community. Thanks for reading!

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

Thanks guys!

I finally had a chance to really ride the bike last night, and it made me feel like a 12 year old again. I had planned on a quick spin around the neighborhood and I ended up going all over the place, riding past my house 3 times because I didn't want to stop and taking random paths for no good reason. Quite a bit different and more relaxing than putting on shorts and clip shoes and setting up the computer and shifting through 20+ gears.

I ordered some parts last night that will hopefully arrive soon. The round roller pedals are scary - I slipped off them twice, which is no fun without hand brakes.

Still don't have any good photos, and none of the other bike. My camera is hiding from me.

Back