new fork......what to measure???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i just got my black chopper fork from choppers us, and i was wondering......the fork is definatley too long, the head tube needs to loose like 5 inches at least..........i was wondering if you guys could help me out.

how do i measure, or what do i measure to make sure the new fork keeps my bikes front end at the same height as it sits now?? i only have one fork lol so i can only make one cut......do i just take out my existing fork, and cut the steer tube the same as that? then how do i know how to measure the chopper legs??

thanks guys!!

Pics would really help! I'm guessing that you have a threadless triple tree fork set, if so, do you have the full head set to complete the install? Its pretty hard to give you a definitive answer with all the variables you have not disclosed.I.E. what type/configuration of stem will you be using? Heres the generic, non specific advice, mount the brackets w/o the fork tubes on your frame first to get an idea of what you are needing to cut off. And to get a feel for the fit, and go from there. You will need something to cut the tubing as well, I have had really good luck using a pipe cutter for this. A pipe cutter is just a much larger version of a tubing cutter, nice, easy, clean cut :wink: Later and PEACE!!!!! 8)

I'll go ahead and profess my ignorance of Electra products, I'm more of a vintage enthusiast. If your Electra is currently equipped with a 1 1/8" head tube, then yes, you should be able to use all the exhisting hardware. Is it a threadless fork as well? If not you will have to use a threadless headset/stem combo, as previously stated. Those are some long fork legs, you will def be cutting off a good amount to acheive a stock position with those! :wink:

Install the fork with all the screws finger tight. Slide the legs or crown around (loosen the screw first, so you don't scratch the finish) until you are happy with how the bike sits. Use a marker to draw a line around the legs at the top of the crown. Take the fork apart and cut to your line. Reassemble the fork with the screws really tight.

If you don't know, here's how you put your headset together.
http://sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

Korporal said:
Install the fork with all the screws finger tight. Slide the legs or crown around (loosen the screw first, so you don't scratch the finish) until you are happy with how the bike sits. Use a marker to draw a line around the legs at the top of the crown. Take the fork apart and cut to your line. Reassemble the fork with the screws really tight.

If you don't know, here's how you put your headset together.
http://sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

yeah ill try that, thanks for the sheldon brown link!!

Back