new find! skip tooth schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scored this a couple of months ago but just now finally had time to get the pics up. not really sure what i'm going to do w/ it. i grabbed it cuz of the skiptooth but who knows? anyways on to the pics...
IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

if anyone can tell me more about it i'd really be grateful!

I don't know exactly what year they stopped or started that particular type. I think it's post-war, they were common as dirt when I was a child during the 60's. It COULD be from the 40's, I seriously doubt the 30's. I could be wrong. It DOES appear to have a dog-leg crank. Look up that #! :?

thanks for the help guys. i guess mine is special cuz i couldn't find the # on the list!? it's on the b.b. and some of the #'s fit but there's two rows. oh and a pic might help, sorry!
IMG_1907.jpg

also, i found these #'s on the top of the b.b.
IMG_1908-1.jpg

also, there is no schwinn headbadge. it just has a sticker on the seat tube and schwinn grips.

It is prewar note the rear facing dropouts. Also that style of frame was used by schwinn on womans bikes in the late 30's early 40's. Matt

The odd stamping on the top side of the BB could be a local township ID marking. Some places issued bike licenses...and would stamp numbers onto bikes.

I would also agree, the bike is pre-war

Step through skiptooth bikes like this were available way into the fifties, but given the rear loading dropouts, you're probably correct. In any case, the ser.# location proves it is pre-1950. If it has it's original crank, it should be dated within a year of actual build date. I guess I owe the pooch dinner.

wow i never knew skiptooths were that "new". i always thought to have a skip it had to be ancient. good to know! so if i pull the crank the date should be on there in plain english or am i going to have to decipher it?

I haven't ever tried that but I have heard it from people who should know, and seen it stated on info. sites. I think they quit manufacturing it a few years before they stopped selling it, just using up the stock of parts on low end models.

the tires actually hold air too! well for about five minutes until they're all deflated. i think i might be putting it up for sale. i had planned on using the skiptooth parts but now i think i have too many project and not enough space.

Latest posts

Back