New Departure noise

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a New Departure Model D that I recently reassembled. It works fine and brakes well however just before I come to a complete stop it makes a knock that I can hear and fell through the pedals. Any ideas?

Could that be your chainwheel shifting on the crank? Do you here/feel it when you restart - bear down in forward afterward?

It's definitely not coming from up by the crank. However when I just spun it up on the bike stand and hit the brake I saw the chain sprocket at the hub slip forward a bit when the noise occurred. So something is slipping inside and allowing the sprocket to move a tiny bit.

jklier said:
It's definitely not coming from up by the crank. However when I just spun it up on the bike stand and hit the brake I saw the chain sprocket at the hub slip forward a bit when the noise occurred. So something is slipping inside and allowing the sprocket to move a tiny bit.

The cone/nut on the back side of the chainwheel is not tight enough. Also, to prevent it from coming back you might try shimming to close the clearance where peg from the crank fits into the hole in the chainwheel.

Is the cone nut you are referring to listed as part D7 on the diagrams in this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30484

dougfisk said:
jklier said:

The cone/nut on the back side of the chainwheel is not tight enough. Also, to prevent it from coming back you might try shimming to close the clearance where peg from the crank fits into the hole in the chainwheel.

jklier said:
Is the cone nut you are referring to listed as part D7 on the diagrams in this thread?

Ok, I didn't read carefully enough, I was imagining to the chainwheel slipping on the crank. Strike that for now.

If you see the cog (D-17) slipping in relation to the driver (D-2), then it may be that the threaded cog (D-17) and it's locknut (D-5) are a little loose. Very unusual... did you have them disassembled?

Much appreciated. All of those parts I left assembled when I did the rebuild. When it pops, they all stay fixed together. I just shot I video of it. I'll post a link when I get it uploaded.

jklier said:
Here's the video. It doesn't look like much but under load that little turn at the end is fairly loud and noticeable. Definitely not normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCVj7YPMulc
That is bizarre. The only thing I can offer is to take it all apart and rebuild it again. Maybe you missed something or something came loose during assembly and you didn't see it. Not commenting on your skills, just saying.

If it does it again after rebuilding, then you definitely have a problem somewhere. If not, then you're golden.

That's what I would do anyway.

Check the brake arm strap it might be moving up and down enough to make a clicking noise as you brake, the other thing to check would be the clutch that moved in and out on the corkscrew, it might need a little oil or grease to allow it to go back and forth as it engages and disengages when you stop and start.

Thanks for asking. I didn't have time to mess with it much over the weekend as I spent my time adding lights to the bike. However the problem isn't happening as often now. I'll check go through this thread and do everything suggested. If it persists I'll take it to my LBS. They rebuilt the one on my military Huffman and it works well.

Bigger problem I have right now is finding a lay back seatpost in 13/16. I don't have a torch or welding rig so making one myself is not possible. I've tried contacting some local frame makers but no response back from any of them yet. I may try going to the local bike salvage and see if there are any handlebars in that size I can cut up.

Back