New Departure Model D help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ND model D hub, took it apart, completely cleaned everything including the brake discs. Only greased bearings, oiled everything else. Hub pedals and brakes great, no slipping. Problem is the hub is noisy, sounds dry but I know its not. Also has a ticking sound. Took it apart a ton of times, everything looks great (I've done a couple of these before) Even tried another set of internals and it did the same thing. I feel like the noise is the clutch sleeve, but I don't know why. I have too much time into this hub so I want to make it work, otherwise I'm going to break down and relace a perry 100 hub into it. I hate to unlace it since I just painted the rim and trued the wheel.

Any ideas?

When I mount wheels with kickback hubs I always tighten the axle bolts first before I tighten the brake arm. If you do the brake arm first you can put the guts in a bind and it will make a noise similar to what you describe. I don't know if ND hubs are the same in that respect, but it's something you can easily try. Gary

This may be a long shot, but is one of your dust covers bent? I have a ND hub with a tweaked drive side cover that's a little noisy.

Back