New Boardtracker Idea

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I had an idea to make a boardtracker using three different frames. In particular, I have this 24" Worksman frame that has a loop on the bottom that I thought would make a good bottom loop for a boardtracker.

Here's the pile to start with:

I then disassembled them, and cut them up to start taking shape.

I drew this out on paper and slept on it for a while before cutting them up, but I didn't realize how long the top bar would be when using the 24" frame in the middle like that. I may have to think on that. That's a long middle section from head tube to seat tube. I'll ponder it.

You can bring the front half in shortening the frame to your desired wheelbase and then pie cut and bend the downtube to match the angle of the loop section. Raising the loop section a tiny bit will also make it closer to lining up.

:shock: Wow Deven, you read my mind...

I was looking at this Healing Loline on the New Zealand auction site, Trade Me, and thought about using one of them in exactly the way you are doing.

268944636.jpg

I'll be watching this build 8)

:D

JohThomas Sorrels said:
Maybe shortening it some more while adding a bend and steeper angle to the down tube will help make it more proportionate to the wheels?...

btrframeredo.jpg

I like that. I've already gone a little further than what's pictured, but I could easily undo it, so I'll consider that idea.

I did some more fooling around with the bike, today. I started to work the frame pieces as JohThomas described, but in the end, I didn't like it, so I threw the bottom loop away, and just made one from scratch. That means that I cut that frame all up for nothing, which is a kind of a bummer, but we all learn lessons, and move on. I also flipped the head tube and it's attached tubes around, which gave the headtube more rake. That looks cool and all, but it also lowered the front more than the back, so I might have to extend the forks, or something. I then thought I'd put in a mid bar, so I welded in an old fire poker as a mid bar, 'cause why not?

Back