Never seen before... unique components

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bought this from a local garage sale years ago for $10 before I picked any bike knowledge.
Till today I haven't seen anything even related, granted I spend more time in modern cruisers.

Looked for stamping under the crankcase, nada.
Dropouts, nothing.
Even after sanding off a few layers of crappy paint.
It's got some unique rat bits...

The chainguard and sprocket whisper murray/huffy.
Shimano coaster hub?
Looks like a sticker for a headbadge, and maybe even an original bronze paintjob. Or just some evenly distributed rust!
I have not removed/added any parts.
WTH is it??

I really like that bike because that is one of the coolest Murray's if it is one that I have ever seen. The fork the chain guard and the sprocket are definitely Murray. The dropouts also look Murray BMX. It must have been some Murray bike that could have been for very limited amount of years because it's the first time I have seen one of those too and I try to look for anything Murray.

Are the pedal made by Wald because if they are the date should be on them? Is there a picture of the other side?

Thx, LTJ. Just ran across some of your posts in my search for pics/builds of wide 20" rims. Excellent work.
The seatpost does not readily slide out. And I don't believe bc of age. There's a pretty solid thunk at the bottom.

Thx, kngtmat. That's good feedback coming from a murray-ficionado.
I'll look at the pedals.
BTW, I have another huffy/murray that needs some id, maybe you could lend your skill.

Taking a closer look, I found some a form of id on the suspect. Looks like "Wald 6102". Anywhere else I should look?

While I was pedal height from the ground, I got a closer look at what looks to be... could it be?? Original paint?
There are some exposed spots where the cheap layers of garage sale paint flaked away. It definitely has a sparkle pearl to it, reddish brown.

Numbers on the pedals I'm not sure but maybe 70's or early 80's before they started adding the year on them.

Check out the late 70's & the 1980 Murray BMX's as you can see the dropouts and the seat stays are the same but for some reason your frames all in one down tube/Seat tube is like some 70's & 80's adult trikes I have seen but none of those trikes said Murray.

One of those Murray BMX's has the same seat too.
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/murray/

Murray in the 70's through the 90's usually had decals above the bottom bracket with the month & year or just the year but yours doesn't. You have the most intriguing bike I have ever seen. There are more people here that know more about Murrays than I do so I hope someone has the great answer for you.

Thx for the feedback, I'm going to have to spend some more time going through that site, some amazing rides.
Some more pics,

In the spirit of people using laundry equipment as photo taking props...
here's the port side,

closeup of the dropouts,

I know this is probably inconsequential, but the screws that I pulled off the fender brace to frame look like the self-tapping ones that my shed is built with.
Would that help determine the age?
Of interest, the quick release seatpost clamp I found has "Shimano" stamped on top.

Back