need springer fork advice . .

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK 53 year old kid here :lol: Have plenty of cars, motorcycles, etc . I'm in the auto restoration business, but love messing with the bikes still. I have a few Krates and such. Anyway, just ordered a Schwinn Legacy cruiser in red. I want to add a springer front fork and paint the fork like a vintage Schwinn cruiser. My question is about fitment . . with all the aftermarket forks around, do I need to watch for stem size?? Does this new Schwinn use the same size fork as the aftermarket stuff out there now?? Thanks

The bike in the link has a 1" diameter threaded steering tube on the fork. Looks like your head tube length in your frame is close to the standard 6 inches. Verify those dimensions when you receive the bike before ordering the springer.
You can trim the steer tube on the springer with a hacksaw if it is too long. The threads on the springer must extend down within 5 inches (frame head tube length minus 1 inch) or so of the crown (cross piece in this case). If your threads do not extend far enough down, you will not easily remedy that. It's about impossible to find a shop that will cut more threads down the head tube.
With all that said, the fork on the bike in the link looks very standard and it should be easy to find a springer that will fit.

Thanks, making any modification needed is not a problem at all . . numerous cutting weapons and a lathe in my shop :) But, I wasn't sure what diameter stem it would have. I think I have gotten enough information to say its a 1" stem. I really want to order the fork now so it will be here soon. Any other info is appreciated, thanks.

Back