Need some restoration help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i picked up a new bike this weekend its a Murray with a tank lights fenders and rack on the back. It's been around for a while and its not in the newest condition but i wanted to pretty much just clean it up and get it ready to ride again. What is the best way to remove the rust spots without killing the original paint? So far rubbing compound is going pretty well but the tips of my fingers are going raw. Is there a better way of doing this?

Try a product called "rust-free" available at Woodcraft and Rockler hardware stores, as well as other woodworking stores. Try it on a q-tip. Its sulfuric acid, and eats rust. rinse with soapy water. For tough spots use a scotch brite pad. Try to not get it on surrounding paint, as it will eat paint.

a quick note with removing rust spots on frames. once you have the rust removed you will need to coat the frame with something especially if you don't ride it often. wd40 works good but stinks. i normally will use a light rubbing of motor oil on the paint and that seems to do the job.

I have cleaned a few and as Karfer says..

I use Synlube.It is a synthetic chain Lube.It has virtually no odour and brings it up to a nice finish.

a previous post said to use 3 in 1 oil( good old fashioned 3 in 1 ).It cleans and protects.

I used it on the Rollfast in areas,as well as the Synlube in other areas..kinda a Gynipig test I'm doin.

peace,
Kev.

another good product to try is pedro's bike lust spray. works wonders but you should clean the surface first also not sure how well it would protect bare metal. oh yea and a warning to all be very careful using cleaning products on schwinn chainguards where the writing is NOT a sticker but paint. i have seen some start to wipe off just using warm water and a towel so becareful around those areas. that also goes for the darts on the schwinn forks. nothing worse than cleaning an original paint bike getting to the chain guard then wiping all the writing off in one stroke. :oops: happend to my buddy when he was cleaning his schwinn lucky for him it was just a breeze hehe :mrgreen:

karfer67 said:
another good product to try is pedro's bike lust spray. works wonders but you should clean the surface first also not sure how well it would protect bare metal. oh yea and a warning to all be very careful using cleaning products on schwinn chainguards where the writing is NOT a sticker but paint. i have seen some start to wipe off just using warm water and a towel so becareful around those areas. that also goes for the darts on the schwinn forks. nothing worse than cleaning an original paint bike getting to the chain guard then wiping all the writing off in one stroke. :oops: happend to my buddy when he was cleaning his schwinn lucky for him it was just a breeze hehe :mrgreen:
:oops: What happened to your buddy was true in my case too,
I thought I would clean and wax my wife's Schwinn Breeze.
When she came out to see how it looked she asked why the breeze
lettering seemed faded! WHOOPS :(

lol i don't mean faded i mean more like took it ALL off lol leaving a nice green chain guard behind lol. oops live and learn. but it does suprize me that i don't read more articals about it on restoration sites.

AND this is why I love this site. I have just recently got back into bikes but over the last month I have acquired 4, I think they call it a addiction.
Anyway I got my wife a Texas Ranger (solid rust and being sand blasted as we speak) and a female cruiser called a Corvair Sportster, anyone ever heard of it. Well the Corvair is a nice dual blue with light surface rust on it, she wants to polish the chrome and try to save the orginal color, I am going to try a few of these methods, cant wait to see what happens.

Is it a Huffy Corvair?
corvair.jpg

I use a product called Bar Keepers Friend to clean chrome. It does fantastic. It works on paint too but can damage the decals if they arn't clearcoated.

Back