Need some help with old shimano 3 speed hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been riding an old beat up thrift shop free spirit 3 speed as a commuter bike to work and around on the train for a while now. It's a sturdy little bike, The lettering on the wheel says "Shimano 3 speed hub Cartridge type US patent 3021729" From what I can tell this is a Shimano model 333 hub (no coaster brake). I have 2 extra used 333 wheels on hand that I want to get working, one the joint just moves back and forth (Im guessing a broken spring?) and the other seems to work but I haven't tried riding it, and another very rusty ross with the same setup my girlfriend rides occasionally.

Long story short, I put 20 miles on this bike some days and figure Im going to need another wheel one day so I was just hoping to figure how to be sure this is actually a 333, I know a 3S looks similar but im assuming that's going to use different parts, I have a decent understanding of how it works but have never had one apart and don't really know how to identify them that well. The patent number is for the planetary set but it doesn't include what it was actually used in.

If anyone has any used spare bits for these I'm interested. I really like this bike.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Back