Need some help/advice on fender mounting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for advice and ideas on how best to mount my front fender. My fender is 3 1/2 inches wide and my springer fork is only 3 inches wide. I'm thinking of trying to run longer bolts and shim the forks out by a 1/4 inch per side. I spotted a pic in the gallery of bike with a modified springer to allow for a wider front tire. I'm wondering if this is advisable or if it will compromise the integrity of the forks. Any ideas or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

100_8821.jpg

100_8812.jpg

100_8819.jpg

Not sure how much clearance you have inside, or what they're made of, can you cut a strip out of the middle and rejoin the halves? S.O.P. w/ sheet metal on motor chops.

Are they fiberglass? You could narow the fender as stated above, or do the spacer thing like you said. Only two choices I see.

deorman said:
Not sure how much clearance you have inside, or what they're made of, can you cut a strip out of the middle and rejoin the halves? S.O.P. w/ sheet metal on motor chops.
Clearance is roughly 3 1/2 inches, they are pretty thin. I've definitely considered cutting it open and thinning it out, but I've never worked with fiberglass and really don't want to mess up the fender beyond repair.

Big Fat Whitewalls said:
Are they fiberglass? You could narow the fender as stated above, or do the spacer thing like you said. Only two choices I see.

Trying to narrow the fender will be my last resort. I'm probably going to try spacing out the forks first. If that doesn't work out, I've considered switching over to triple tree chopper style forks.

Thanks

I think it would be cool to slip the fender over the fork. Elgin did this on a bike. Obviously not with a wild fender like that.

sensor said:
you can get away with swapping the bolt for a longer one(youll need some tubing to shim it though).......just make sure you get the same grade bolt

Thanks for the heads up. I took the leap and spaced out the forks today. and I think it's going to work out fine. I got the fender mounted and now I just need to finish the filler work, prime and paint. Here's my progress for today.

100_8825.jpg

100_8823.jpg

deorman said:
Looks great!

Thanks!! I'm glad you like what I'm doing with it. It doesn't come close to most of the builds on here but I'm really enjoying getting it together.

Back