Need ideas for creative wheel covers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of creative (and relatively easy) ideas to make wheel covers for my 20" trike, instead of just buying them or slapping on some cheesy cardboard... I currently have a Cheerios cereal box weaved in between the spokes!

I've dropped by JoAnn Fabrics and the hardware stores for some inspiration, but it's not quite doing it. One idea is this white mesh-looking plastic that might actually look cool spinning... http://www.joann.com/darice-stiff-plast ... 01971233a/

I've also thought about just thin sheet metal or the kind that toolboxes for pickup trucks are made out of, though that seems hard to work with.

I'd appreciate ideas on materials but please do share pics especially if you have some designs on them... need inspiration! Thx!

Pizza screens come in many sizes. Look at my beer run bike to see what they look like on.

Well what we do in bike polo is use corogated plastic (basically plastic cardboard) salvaged from discarded or un-attended political signs. easy to scuff them up with a brillo, clean, and paint. Could go into more detail but if your interested just google polo wheel covers or the likes and there are half a dozen tutorials and videos describing how its done. If you want really fancy ones look up Jinxy of Fixcraft, they custom print and cut them out with any full color image or design.

A good idea to look into if you can make it, but what about oversized spoke guards? You could also invent the JC Higgins colorflow fenders for a 20" bike.

Pizza pans, they come in aluminum and could be polished up to a mirror shine, or engine turned like a fire truck, could be cool.

I don't know if this sounds stupid, but what about something that is not actually attached directly to the wheel. What I would suggest is spinners that spin partly indepented from the wheel itself. If that's not what you're thinking and want something more... let's say original, you could come up with a way to have a piece of nice looking wood remain still while the wheel is spinning. That would be an intresting project and defenately an eye-catcher

Ooh, I like all those ideas! Gonna have to think about the spinners! Thx.

I was at Ace recently and came across thin sheets that pickup toolboxes are made of (shiny metal with criss-cross pattern). I've seen thicker sheets for actually making those toolboxes, but not these thin faux kind. Seemed easy to work with and might provide a cool "mad max" look.

Please keep them coming!

Jawon said:
Ooh, I like all those ideas! Gonna have to think about the spinners! Thx.

I was at Ace recently and came across thin sheets that pickup toolboxes are made of (shiny metal with criss-cross pattern). I've seen thicker sheets for actually making those toolboxes, but not these thin faux kind. Seemed easy to work with and might provide a cool "mad max" look.

Please keep them coming!
The new Menard's in town has a bunch of different metal & aluminum sheets of metal in 24x24 and 30x30 (I think). If you have a store like that you might check it out.

That stuff is called Diamond plate. It comes in 4 x8 sheets in lots of thickness for about $80 a sheet for the thinnest. They also call it floor plate in some of the steel yards. Its in aluminum and also steel.

Back