Need help with tire clearance issues

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put fat franks on my old JCH cruiser.
A lot of time I cant ride out about 20 mins then after hitting a couple bumps the front tire scoots back up into the the forks and starts to rub just enough on the top to be problem.
I was thinking maybe griding down a little bit of the extra tube that hangs down between the forks?
Also, the rear tire has been trued and trued by bike shops, but for some reason, it always ends up rubbing really bad on one side after like an hour or 2 of riding.
Was thinking of getting new rims, but idk. Is there a way to widen the rear wheel opening in the back of the bike?

the front forks are can be fixed by doing what you say right there. theres a build off bike that had it done. as for the rear, first thing i would do is check if the forks are straight with the frame. ive had two bikes do the same thing, and both times it was the rear not being straight. are the tires pushing to the opposite side of the crank?

How about some pics, your 'old JCH' may be a middleweight, which would limit you from running 26 x 2.35 tires.
Without 'seeing' what the issue is, it sounds like (in the front and the rear) that everything starts out fine, but rubs after you've ridden for a bit, right?

If so, it sounds like your wheels are moving from the stress of riding, meaning, bumps are making the front wheel move and the torque from pedaling is moving the rear. Do you have lockwashers/star washers installed? If not, that's what I'd try.

If you're frame/fork was bent or too narrow, the tires would rub all the time.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
How about some pics, your 'old JCH' may be a middleweight, which would limit you from running 26 x 2.35 tires.
Without 'seeing' what the issue is, it sounds like (in the front and the rear) that everything starts out fine, but rubs after you've ridden for a bit, right?

If so, it sounds like your wheels are moving from the stress of riding, meaning, bumps are making the front wheel move and the torque from pedaling is moving the rear. Do you have lockwashers/star washers installed? If not, that's what I'd try.

If you're frame/fork was bent or too narrow, the tires would rub all the time.

Cheers,
Dr. T
yes thats the issue.
heres a thread with some pics of the bike, im not at home so I cant take any specifics.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28678
No I dont have lockwashers installed, ive never really built bicycles before this one so I'm not really sure what the order or function of all the washers in the rear is supposed to be.
Thinking maybe some spacers to put in the bottom of the forks where the wheels bolts in to keep them from scooting up...?

they make a little spacer tab to align the rear wheel when using an integrated hanger style derailer, maybe you could use 2 of them?? :?

Sounds to me like a simple case of needing friction washers and possibly more torque on your axle nuts on the rear. The axle alignment locks sounds like a winner for the front end, but I don't know where to find them aside from old 10-spds. You'd probably have to file them down or enlarge the dropouts to make them fit.

I'd go to the hardware store and some these:
Ob56QTkRc1ujnOjJTkITRF-FGxezFPAQV1iTE0Gu8binwitnW0dhf8vr0hzKY2hYnqDqNE7pHjqV1FzxemIn-KCILW1Zg2Ig2Xpvb03A3pLprcN2-DDOTwYddmrl1kGf6tbVIC4pGVwvP4IUD3BDahdGPtETMd3Hwja1Wg

Place them so they touch the frame/fork. When you tight down the axle nuts they'll lock it down.
Don't buy these, they just flatten out when tightened down:
5883.JPG

Good luck, cool bike BTW, I remember it well.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I'd go to the hardware store and some these:
Ob56QTkRc1ujnOjJTkITRF-FGxezFPAQV1iTE0Gu8binwitnW0dhf8vr0hzKY2hYnqDqNE7pHjqV1FzxemIn-KCILW1Zg2Ig2Xpvb03A3pLprcN2-DDOTwYddmrl1kGf6tbVIC4pGVwvP4IUD3BDahdGPtETMd3Hwja1Wg

Place them so they touch the frame/fork. When you tight down the axle nuts they'll lock it down.
Don't buy these, they just flatten out when tightened down:
5883.JPG

Good luck, cool bike BTW, I remember it well.

Cheers,
Dr. T
Thanks tank,
Finishing up the Kitty Hawk look for the tank. I think everyone here will love it

Just read this post tonight regarding tire clearance, it might be too late or you have already solved the problem, anyway,
I had similar problems with my JCH…..I finally found out that the wheels being "old" were slightly bent, and no matter how
many washers or how tight I made it….after a while, the tires would be rubbing on the forks. Regretfully I had to remove the
"original" wheels and install a new set. Now I can cruise all day….hope this helps somebody !

Without lockwashers, the torque of the sprocket and chain will eventually pull the drive side of the axle forward causing an allignment issue. As for the front , you could drill small holes in the flat part of the fork just above the dropouts and use the washers with the little tabs that fit into the hole. The washers are common on most 70's-80's bikes. Just make sure you have the tabbed washers before you drill so you know where to drill.

Back