Need Help With My Nexus 3 Speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I recently got my hands on a used Felt MP. It's the hotness that I've been wanting since I set eyes on one in a catalog (don't worry, it's gonna get modified sooner or later :D )

So here's my problem: I can't figure out the hub to save my life. I've installed it, got it shifting right, but it makes the most annoying clicking sound as I'm pedaling. It almost sounds like I'm just freewheeling. I can't get it to stop clicking to save my life.

Help! It's making an otherwise fun bike to ride kind of annoying.

Got it. I guess I'll have to live with it. I mean, don't get me wrong - I know there are far worse things that I can be worried about, so it's all good. Just a touch annoying. I suppose I'll just have to crank up the iPod a bit more.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

On both of my Electra's with a Nexus 3 speeds...the clicking/ticking sound is only present while in 2nd gear, not in 1st or 3rd gear. From what I understand that is perfectly normal and how it should be. I actually kind of like the sound...but maybe that's just me :)

Some IGH's will made a louder than normal click if they aren't adjusted just right. Does it feel like it borderline in one gear or out of another?

Some are louder than others, and it seems to be dependent on how much grease is on the prawls. The last one I serviced, I used gobs of the white nexus grease, and it's now so quiet, you could hear a mouse fart.

kingfish254 said:
Some IGH's will made a louder than normal click if they aren't adjusted just right. Does it feel like it borderline in one gear or out of another?
It did when I first installed the bell (before I figured out what I was doing). Now, it's shifting really well and the clutch is solidly engaged. Still got that noise, too, but...
Rooski said:
Some are louder than others, and it seems to be dependent on how much grease is on the prawls. The last one I serviced, I used gobs of the white nexus grease, and it's now so quiet, you could hear a mouse fart.
I'm gonna give that a try. I saw it on another forum somewhere on the internetz, and your suggestion gives it some weight.

Now, to find out where I can get that grease for cheap...

I know the answer to this, but Ill post it after you share pics of your new ride. Welcome to the felt club. if this is your first felt it wont be your last. :mrgreen:

Edit:
went home and checked my 3 speed and found that 2nd and 3rd gear make a clicking noise while peddling.

rydr1 said:
I know the answer to this, but Ill post it after you share pics of your new ride. Welcome to the felt club. if this is your first felt it wont be your last. :mrgreen:

Edit:
went home and checked my 3 speed and found that 2nd and 3rd gear make a clicking noise while peddling.
Alright, alright, here are some pictures. :)

DSC_0668.jpg

DSC_0669.jpg

I've got plans for this bike. Most likely just a change in paint. It already has the aggressive styling that I want for a military-themed bike.

I'm calling it C-11 (Charlie One-One), in honor of the tank crew that I deployed to Bosnia with back in '99.

PabloAntonio said:
I've got plans for this bike. Most likely just a change in paint. It already has the aggressive styling that I want for a military-themed bike.

I'm calling it C-11 (Charlie One-One), in honor of the tank crew that I deployed to Bosnia with back in '99.

Cool bike, looking forward to your changes (even though it is awesome as is). Maybe you should mount a tank-like gun on the front as your headlight. :shock:

My old Shimano 333 makes a ticking noise, mostly when in 2nd gear. But my new Shimano single-speed coaster brake hub also does the same thing. I cleaned it out a week or so ago and repacked it, thinking that the grease had been cooked (it had), but it still ticks.

Back