need help with id of colson frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
001.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

looking for id of this frame so i can look for the correct parts to rebuild/restore. i was told it is a colson frame but need more specifics. i figure someone can id it by the crank, fork, or the rear axle mounts. i could not see a number on the bottom but it has been repainted a few times. thanks

The frame was produced by Cleveland Welding not Colson, and the chain ring pattern agrees with that call (although chain rings are often switched out over the years so they are not often enough to go on for a frame identification.) The pattern of this frame (CWC Double Bar Roadster) was produced by CWC starting in late 1935 and carried through until mid-late 1937. If you do uncover the serial number, that can pin down the date more closely, but this is likely a 1936 model frame based on the very close placement of the chain stays where they enter the crank hanger. While the frame and crank/chain ring are all CWC, the fork is not and the truss rods look too short and improperly bent to be original although they may have been re-bent to go with the replacement fork.

These CWC Double Bar Roadsters came basically equipped with not much more than the standard pattern 1936 CWC fenders or fully equipped with a rack, a chain guard, and a battery tube powered fender light. For better or worse, no tank was ever manufactured to fit this frame.

thanks! that gets me closer, now if anyone has pics of a complete bike and is it worth going original or should i just make it the way i like it?

Latest posts

Back