Need help with buying a Sting-Ray (Good?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I am incredibly new to the Rat Rod Bikes lifestyle. After being fascinated by my dads stories of riding his stingray and the fun he had i decided to look for one locally and after a while one popped up and I wanted to know if this stingray was a good one, doing minor research I wasnt able to decipher what year or model of stingray it was, i just know it isnt a Krate (no shifter) and its not oe of the walmart reissues (rear fender different). Serial number is 8NACE07H15405

Any advice or points? again I am new to the forum so if you must point out my stupidity, be honest and know i'll learn.

1J8k48y.jpg
ioCWH8V.jpg
ZBpgoK5.jpg

Last edited:
Hi welcome n enjoy... There are no stupid questions here.
Closest would be people too stupid to not ask...
I'm no a Schwinn guy, but plenty here are... Try get a pic of the serial number and someone here can guide you to way too mutch information about it ;)

I tried to enlarge the pics for a better look, but they went blurry. I couldn't swear that the frame is actually a Schwinn. Doesn't look like it has Chicago style joints. If the kickstand has a spring metal clip on the mount, it's a Huffy. Otherwise I'd say it probably is a box store repop.

I tried to enlarge the pics for a better look, but they went blurry. I couldn't swear that the frame is actually a Schwinn. Doesn't look like it has Chicago style joints. If the kickstand has a spring metal clip on the mount, it's a Huffy. Otherwise I'd say it probably is a box store repop.
14749407901461834064120.jpg
huffy stand

That might not be a real seat stem, but you'll gain some knowledge working on that bike and getting it how you want it. That's half the fun.
If you wanted a real Chicago Schwinn Stingray, that's not the one, but you could fix this one up and ride it until one does come up. Then have an extra musclebike in the garage.

Looking around, I think it's a repop. Here's a 2007 repop, notice the handlebar stem is the same along with other things, the sissybar looks the same too. But other things are missing, so how much you pay can probably be negotiated if you haven't bought it yet.
11311628_698088570303171_925102410_n.jpg

Talked him down to $65, would you pull the trigger and get it? Im extremely on the fence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a Walmart repot with some added parts. That being said, it looks like fun for $65. My personal opinion is they are a horrible ride with the 16" front wheel. Swap that out if you want to really ride and enjoy it.

I think with a little time and patience your money would be better spent on a real Chicago built stingray though.
There are still some out there. Sometimes even a great prices.

Like wild said great bike to learn from
65 isn't terrible... I don't know how much a Chicago Schwinn with parts runs for, but well over that in my area for a frame and fork actually double that 125 on Craig's.... There would be a few hundred on top to get it ridable... Then restoration costs.
Depends the end goal.
If want enjoy I'd hop on it and keep an eye out for what u want to come along. Til then can collect parts get to know what u really want what it would be worth etc... Bonus if have the repo, and find a frame... Can get it running for no more costs...
That's how my hoard is building. I get a frame I like and pull parts then hang the frame on the wall :)
So I get new rides for 30-50 often :))

Put it this way
.. if you found a frame and fork.. you would be paying that for the wheels and tires.. a seat sissy and bars on top is good deal;)

Last edited:
OK looking again the seat is really sketchy. It's just resting on the post so the sissy is keeping up.. all bad. could rig a mount to connect the seat to the post or get a different post. It's black pipe. It would need a smaller diameter piece at the top if wanted to hook up a stock mount.
Still easy repair.. but I'd do zero wheelies on it as is... Likely flip back with the seat only o_O
*EDIT ASK SELLER FOR SEAT POST AND PARTS. LOOK AT THE PHOTOS THE SEAT IS MOVING AROUND LOOSE.
DO NOT RIDE TILL FIXED.
THATS A BIG OWIE WAITING TO HAPPEN
ALERT @RadamDadam

Last edited:
Is this conversation really going on for this bike for sale at 65.00? In my opinion it was worth it when you walked away. Especially 50.00. Did you get the opportunity to buy it ? Hope so!

Latest posts

Back