Need help identifying this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these in the Tarpon scrap yard:

my-001.jpg

the gold one is a columbia built... my question is with the red one? if I go by the numbers and placement thereof it would be a 50 schwinn and the dropouts, chainstays to BB seams etc look schwinn-like (alot like the wife's 54) but the chainring, skiptooth and chainguard are definately not. also the fork... not forged blades. looks more hawthorne-ish. anyone got an idea?

my-002.jpg

Crassly said:
I think you have it pegged perfectly. A Schwinn DX frame with Hawthorne components.
I agree, those are hawthorne forks. The frame looks smooth (no welds) so it's probably a schwinn.

isnt this the ever elusive Shwithorne? I have heard of their existence, but never really........... oh wait i have one similar to that one, but i think it is a Hawinn!

So now that we are at least in agreement that this is a schwinn built, I'll corn-tinue:

I wanted to try a lowered springer fork since I had not ridden one before. I set out to collect parts:

my-005.jpg

24" wheels from a china-mart tiki bike and some 24X3 tires.

my-006.jpg

got the frame powder coated satin black.

my-008.jpg

columbia chainguard chromed and torrington signal pedals (both repro)
Still not feeling the forks. flimsy and the tire rubs when I turn. of course this tells me that maybe I need to lose weight... so I go for another front end:

my-009.jpg

my-010.jpg

So I like the bike. I's featured in a local news piece about traffic and alternative means of travel. we spent 2 hours riding around in front of the camera to get 15 seconds of tape on the air. I guess it was fun seeing this tiny reporter with high heels on my friends chopper. but I digress. I hang the bike in the garage for a while and it doesn't get ridden. I think back and the cranks were a bit short for a single speed with the size sprockets. well I end up with one of those monarch springer knockoffs... was going to use it on the wife's 54 but the hubs on the wheels I got were too wide. speaking to johnny nightwolf who had bought a set told me that he had to find a wheel with an @ 80MM old to really make it work. well I was looking at the fork and the bike hanging in the garage and had an epiphany. found a 26X1 3/8 front wheel and a three speed wheel from another project and the transformation was under way. here's what I came up with:

my-011.jpg

my-012.jpg

my-013.jpg

my-014.jpg

rode for the 4th ride and it was getting mad looks. it's fun and currently is my main ride. just looking for a headbadge that fits the holes in the front. I do have a plastic starburst schwinn badge but am hoping to come up with one that fits the holes.

cheers.

26X1 3/8 front. cheng shin white wall. funny thing about that rim/tire. I found that rim in the shop and thought it was perfect... except for the hollow quill axle. in order to get a small axle on that rim I had to use 1/4 inch bottom bracket bearings to make up the difference in race size. it wasn't until I mounted the rim for testing that I found out that it wasn't 26" metric. I had a few 26X1 3/8 black walls but nothing white... just as I was storming out all pissed off and thinking that I was going to have to mail order a tire I happened across this one laying on the floor. the very last one in the shop. from what I can find memory lane classics has them. dunno what brand but they shouldn't be that terrible to locate. I will probably have a metric rim laced on the front to match the rear and some stainless spokes as well. not that the skinny tire isn't cool but just to keep future tire procurement easier.

back or front?
back is a 24 X 3 Nirve ...... (that's the name on the sidewall...) http://www.nirve.com

the front is 26 X 1 3/8th and you should be able to get them from http://www.memorylane-classics.com/
Nirve I have bought from before... MLC I have not. also I have seen mention Bikeworldusa seller on ebay. has some Nirve stuff and is cool to buy from.

Kenda has some 24 X 3 (20 and 26 for that matter) flame tires but I haven't seen whitewalls. also if you can get them, dyno fireballs. very cool.

unfortunately for me I live in an area that has the highest grossing (great)wal(of china)mart in the country and has closed down three bike ships this year and about to close the one I frequent. if you are fortunate to have a LBS that is cool about cruisers by all means buy from them. ask them to order from Nirve and etc. they should be able to give you the same price as the retail website and make a bit on the sale as well. I have no problem spending more to know that there'll be a shop to go to next week. as for me... soon I will be in spandex heck.

Tsu... (climbs off soapbox)

Good to see another Pinelles guy!Soon we will have enough people for a show.Love the bikes,I have been meain' to get out to the tarpon scrap yard again.if you need parts or frames,or what the heck ever,let me know i've got a shop full of stuff in Oldsmar.Keep it up.
-Kreep-

Yep,that was me and some friends.I made the trophies for the race.I missed the latest one,but I still have alot of those fixed gear guys buying a ton of stuff from me.Hit me up if you need anything,I'm trying to clean house a bit.
-Kreep-

Back