Need help identifying this frame - prewar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ratrodders and Ratrodesses,

I purchased this frame for $1 along with two sets of wheels (with some crazy hubs I've never seen ever before) about 2 weeks ago. It hung in a shed attached to a barn that is all going to be torn down shortly (they are widening the state road and straightening it out). The owner said "just take that junk" but I gave him a dollar just to crawl over all the crap piled around it and get it out of there for me. The place was disgusting.

I need your help in trying to identify the maker of this frame. Here is what 3 quarters, 2 dimes and a nickle buys in rural Wisconsin:
ag150127.jpg

Of course, I want to actually put this old girl back on the road, and make a cool ride out of it, so I got out the portaband and chopped her up (and please spare me the lecture on destroying pre-war bikes -- this one had 40 years of cat pee, rain, and neglect over it before I saved it from the bulldozer/landfill.)
ag150132.jpg

ag150133.jpg

ag150134.jpg

Now the old girl sports mannish good looks!
ag150135.jpg

The headset was so rusted that I couldn't spin the forks -- I had to soak it in PB Blaster for an hour, slowly wiggling and working the fork back & forth. I don't yet know if I can get the headset off without lots of heat, but we'll save that for another day -- I have too many projects underway as it is.

So can any of you contribute ideas of who made this frame and the approximate year? Thanks so much!

You have a frame made by Murray-Ohio. They first produced bikes in late 1936 for the 1937 calendar year and produced frames similar to that until the beginning of WW2. Most of their bikes were badged for and sold by various second tier distributors, chiefly Sears. Some bikes were sold under the in-house badge, Mercury. I would guess your frame is toward the earlier end of that period as it has the proprietary fork which was replaced by a forged fork on the later models.

rms37, you are awesome! And I feel even better about cutting her and gutting her knowing she was likely a Sears catalog bike. THANK YOU :!: I'm really excited about turning this one into something magnificent!

Looks interesting so far. Have fun with it!

rms37 said:
You have a frame made by Murray-Ohio. They first produced bikes in late 1936 for the 1937 calendar year and produced frames similar to that until the beginning of WW2. Most of their bikes were badged for and sold by various second tier distributors, chiefly Sears. Some bikes were sold under the in-house badge, Mercury. I would guess your frame is toward the earlier end of that period as it has the proprietary fork which was replaced by a forged fork on the later models.

Dude! Were 'ya been! Good to hear from 'ya! :lol: :lol:

I'm thinking the Elgin badged bikes were the only ones to have that solid sprocket. I have a 37ish which is actually Collegiate badged, a junior line to Elgins. (Elgin tank was an ebay score) ~Adam
adamtinkererscollection2001.jpg

Rustinkerer,

Look at the first picture where the top downtube meets the head tube -- how it's flared out. The Elgin you showed has a regular butt joint. I saw another early Murray-Ohio with the flared joint, so I'm sticking with that theory. BTW, your Elgin is awesome!

economessed said:
Rustinkerer,

Look at the first picture where the top downtube meets the head tube -- how it's flared out. The Elgin you showed has a regular butt joint. I saw another early Murray-Ohio with the flared joint, so I'm sticking with that theory. BTW, your Elgin is awesome!

I think that many Elgins were MO made (others being Westfield made?). I have a Murray men's bike with very similar looks to yours... same fluted joints... thank you rms37 for identifying it. :D

s3pqua.jpg

I think that many Elgins were MO made (others being Westfield made?). I have a Murray men's bike with very similar looks to yours... same fluted joints... thank you rms37 for identifying it. :D

Those handlebars are exquisite! NEED! WANT!!!!

Murray started building bikes for Sears around 1938. I believe mine was made by Westfield, like most of the older Elgins. My point was the sprocket was an Elgin only item. Your frame is definitely built by Murray, no question. I have another frame which is a late 30s Elgin Oriole, but was made by Murray, unlike the previous Orioles made by Westfield.
Elginoriole.jpg

Back