need bearing help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i decided to pull the back wheel apart on my J.C. HiGGins and found the inner gear bearing race busted. i searched through all my junk rims and no luck finding a replacement. wheres a good place to pick up bearing sets.

what i could get from the race Star K042 sux cuz the closest bike shops are about an hour away.

New Dep.? Bendix? The inner race is part of the bendix drive and the outer is the hub. Do you mean the axle race? The outer is part of the bendix drive, the inner a "cone" that screws onto the axle. Or do you mean the bearing cage? There's a fair chance of me having the parts, if I was sure what you needed.

Do you mean the actual race (hardened steel cup with a rounded surface that the balls ride on)? Or just the cage that holds the ball bearings?

If it's just the cage you don't need it. It's just there to make manufacturing faster and easier.

Sorry if this is a dumbish question but a lot of people get that terminology off and I haven't been here long enough to know you.

the race is shot and crushed. i tried running free bearing and didnt work right. its the set that goes behind the gear. i even went with a larger set of loose bearings and no luck. i relieve the tension to get the rim to roll and then its to loose and wobbles.

i think i found a set. have my fingers crossed. if it works ill run them till i can get a new wheel set. i have a 3 speed hub but dont know how to lace. time to learn. want to use a click stick i found the other day.

Back