Need Advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, this isn't exactly a new find since I've had this bike for over 20 years, but I need fresh eyes and opions about this bike. It's a 1964 Monark Silver King by Huffy. Granted it isn't the most collectible style or make, but it is a survivor. As far as I can tell everything is original right down to the brand of tires I've never heard of(Trellborg). This was given to me by my first girlfriend's father in the mid 80's. I've generally only collected or restored old Schwinns, but have never figured out what to do with this bike. It isn't worth restoring(yet, maybe someday). I tried selling it on fleabay, no takers. I cannot in good conscience set it on the curb or give it away. So I was thinking about rat rodding it. Any thoughts on this? I've even considered doing an even trade for the right bike. I'm really at a complete loss as to what to do with it. I either have to find it a good home or do something with it, I'm at a complete loss as to what I should do with bike. Running outa room to just store old bikes.
IMG_0234.jpg
IMG_0231.jpg
IMG_0232.jpg

I have that same pair of tires 26x1.75 Trellborgs or however you say it. I say keep it original, not something worth a lot, but not something you see too often.

I have a Huffy Eldorado women's frame that I am in a similar position with. Might sell it locally, might keep it. It has the same fender ornament, although not in as good condition. I see the tank is the same on both men's and women's frames, which raises interesting possibilities.

n2fk3p.jpg

although both tanks are the same, the hole that the headtube goes through will be more angled on the womens...

I would prefer an even trade for another bike, but is a $100 + shipping too much? I have to get rid of it. I realized I can't bring myself to restore it or modify it. It would be better to give someone who wants it and will actually do something with it. I will list it in the classified section as soon as I can if I don't get an offer here soon. I wonder if bicycles are considered a mental illness? Anyway any good trades or offers out there?

By the way the front forks are bent, not sure if a bike shop can repair it or not. The previous owner tried to fix it himself with less that stellar results judging by the gouges in the fork tube( took it apart to regrease the bearings and saw the damage first hand). Just thought you should know. The frame is perfect except for som surface rust. Nothing as serious at pitting through the frame tubes, completely cosmetic. The wheels are pretty true considering it's a 1960's Huffy. The front light, horn and rear lights are not functional now but might be repaired, but ,might be repaired.

The last one like this to sell on fee pay went for $200 or $300 if I remember right.

Back