ND 1/2 inch to Skiptooth

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have 1/2 inch New Departure rear hub on my 1946 Schwinn Dx. I would like to make this a skiptooth set up. Can you replace the cog on the hub with New Departure 1 inch skiptooth cog?

Thanks

Thanks Dogdart. The wheels are not original to the bike, so I'm not sure how old they are, but they look like new...hopefully getting the cog off won't be a problem.

You may want to find a driver with an inch pitch cog already on it, this might save you some grief.

The only reasonable way to do it without the proper tools is to remove the left handed lock ring, clamp cog into a stout vise and holding the rim firmly turn counter clockwise until it breaks free. Good chance the cog may pop out of the vise as well.
FIRST THING A SHOP NEEDS IS A PROPER VISE, THAT IS AND ONLY IS A WILTON VISE. A BIG ONE WITH THE ROUND BODY.

c.p.odom said:
You may want to find a driver with an inch pitch cog already on it, this might save you some grief.

I guess I could get one on ebay..

thanks for all the advice guys.

dogdart said:
Yes , the sprocket is threaded . The retainer is left hand thread , the sprocket is right . after 60+ years , you may find it challenging to remove .
heat and a big hammer will get it off fairly easy(but as stated before the easiest route is to just get the 1" cog already on a driver)

I would be worried about annealing the hardened driver with heat.

Best to just buy a skip tooth cog already mounted on the driver. Or, take off the LH thread lock ring and put the wheel and chain back on the bike. Stand on the brakes and it should pop loose. If it does, you saved time. If it doesn't, get out that big hammer. :mrgreen: Gary

maybe im not awake yet, but wouldnt a chain whip work?you could put the handle in a vise if needed. i like garys idea also, seems safer if it comes loose all of the sudden.

dougfisk said:
c.p.odom said:
FIRST THING A SHOP NEEDS IS A PROPER VISE, THAT IS AND ONLY IS A WILTON VISE. A BIG ONE WITH THE ROUND BODY.

Like this one? :shock:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 473_245473

Yes! Ex-freaking-zactly! :shock: :shock: :shock: I priced those Wiltons, the larger ones go $700, Sheesh. The Chinese version of the same size (notice I didn't slip up and say equivalent) is $159.

I have Wilton #1760 6" and a Wilton #835 3.5" vises. The 6" I bought new for stupid money (no regrets) and the 3.5" I purchased at a garage sale for $5. I have used and broken the huge Chinese vises, no comparison and 20-30-40 years later you will be glad you stepped up. These vises will go to my grand kids as good as the day they were made. The six inch which is the new one I have already had for 25 years.

Picked up a 1 inch cog with a driver on it for $10.00 on ebay. BTW..I was curious..were skiptooth S2 wheels available for Schwinn bikes back in 1946-47?

Score on the driver. Good question on the rims, were they immediate post war or a little later? In general 1/2 pitch chains came on the upper level bikes, us poor kids got the 1 inch pitch stuff.

Back